New Mail Features: Aliases?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by floatingspirit, Mar 24, 2005.

1. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Anyone know if Mail will include a way to utilize .Mac email address aliases? Via webmail it's no problem cuz they have a little tab that lets you select which one you want to send the email from, a feature identical to chosing your signature in Mail on one's own Mac.

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

With multiple accounts in Panther's Mail, you can choose which e-mail address you want to use right above the message, if this is what you're looking for.
    -Chase

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Also, here's an undocumented tip I learned right here on this forum:
    With mail in 10.3, you can have multiple email from addresses in a drop-down box with only one account setup.

In your Mail Preferences, in the Email textbox for your Account, put multiple email addresses separated by commas:
    email1@example.com, email2@example.com, email3@example.com

Then you can send from any of those addresses, with only 1 account set up!
    Yay!

Lee Tom

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It can't be THAT easy to spoof an email address... can it?

5. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but...

Nice tip, but it won't let me input any text in the blank space entitled "Email Address". ALthough, when holding the mouse pointer over the space, I get a pop-up message box which states exactly what you say...any idea how to get past this typing block?

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

ahhh... you're using .Mac, so you probably can't change it.
    If you are able to use IMAP instead, but with the proper .Mac settings, you could probably do it.

Lee Tom

7. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

Brilliant! That totally did it. It added a little click 'n drop-down menu for email addresses to send from, just like for multiple signatures! Thank you very much:)

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

9. buckuxc macrumors regular

gmail outgoing server - too many recipients?

I'm glad I happened upon this hack, but now I have a problem. I'll explain first though.

I had been using my university email account for incoming mail and an email account through my domain/server space, because the university server allows you to receive email from any network you're connected to, but one can only use the smtp server when connected on campus (for obvious reasons). I will no longer own a domain or that server space very shortly, but I now have a gmail account. I added my gmail address to the list of email addresses in my one and only account in Mail. I then changed the outgoing to smtp.gmail.com and did all the other configuration for it (port, ssl, username and password). It worked. I was able to send email to a friend. I then tried to send an email containing a long list of recipients from my address book and I got this message from Mail:
    So what do I do for emails with a lot of recipients?

10. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Not too sure..but might be a good idea not to post lots of your friends email addresses on here as they will be harvested..!

11. buckuxc macrumors regular

ahh

good point, I wasn't paying attention...

anyone know how to change that?

or answer my question?

12. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Very good Thread!

To poster above: ask a moderator to erase that quote.

I have three main accounts: work, work 2, personal gmail. I have been having difficulty reaching all three and sending e-mail from home. This weekend, I hope to solve all that using the hack above.

Many thanks.

13. forthebrave macrumors regular

tried doing this but didn't really understand... this is so you can use e-mail aliases on your desktop mail app. right? not .mac? Open Mail preferences>Accounts?? then where? e-mail textbox?

14. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

Right.

After you add another account to Mail, or even multiple addresses within a single account (by putting a comma between each address as you fill the box), then, when you compose an email, there appears a tab on the email itself which you click on to chose which address you wish the mail to be sent from.

15. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm no computer whiz at all, but rather than adding your gmail address to the list of email addresses in your one and only account in Mail, did you try making that it's own, separate account with its own outgoing server?

16. forthebrave macrumors regular

17. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

:p

Gotta love that feeling :)

:p

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can edit any (of your own) posts, if you're logged in... just find the post you want to edit and press the, well, "Edit" button in the low right edge of the posts field... :)

Edit: Like I did now to to attach an image of the edit button:

Attached Files: