Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Just got my first Mac, a new MB C2D...

Had it been a new PC, I would have reinstalled a new fresh OS without all the small apps and exactly as I want it. Is this recommended for a new Mac as well?

Also, do you recommend installing a firewall? I have understood that Anti-virus shouldn't be required.

amnesiak

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2006
no its not necessary..and as for the firewall you can enable the built-in firewall for osx.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
A lot of people do new installs on new machines.
You can get rid of all the localization files and unwanted extra apps, extra printer drivers etc.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I cut the size of the OS X footprint almost in half with a fresh install. That was a savings of some 9GB.

Do it.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Just got my first Mac, a new MB C2D...

Had it been a new PC, I would have reinstalled a new fresh OS without all the small apps and exactly as I want it. Is this recommended for a new Mac as well?

Also, do you recommend installing a firewall? I have understood that Anti-virus shouldn't be required.

Welcome to the Mac family!

There should be no reason to do any OS reinstall with a new Mac as there are only a very few things that you might want to leave out (possibly all of the extra language packs -- these packages do not impact on performance anyway, they just take a little space on the drive). The only people that I have bumped into that reinstall their OS are audio/video professionals who need a very lean system and will only install the bare minimum core plus the DAW or Video software. For 99.99999% of other people (professionals included) a reinstall gains them nothing except to save a little disk space.

A firewall is always a good idea. Although the core of Mac OS is Unix and is very well configured out of the box for security, having a physical (as opposed to software) firewall makes an already secure system extremely difficult (nothing is impossible but this configuration comes close) for anyone to gain unauthorized access to your system.

Viruses are not a concern with Unix based OSes due to the fact that nothing can run without your permission and even if you loaded something (viral) in on your user account it can't damage anything critical as nothing at the user level can access root level system items (root level items cannot be written to, or damaged, from the users account without authorization from the user). The only real way for a virus to gain access to your system is for the virus writer to have local physical access to your computer (in other words he/she is sitting in front of your computer) and have root privileges, or know your password in order to invoke "sudo", and then to manually enter the virus. Do not waste your money on _Anti-virus_ software for the Mac.

Enjoy your new Mac.

Sopranino

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I cut the size of the OS X footprint almost in half with a fresh install. That was a savings of some 9GB.

Do it.

Is that possible? Dang. I cut out all the stuff I didn't want, and I didn't save nearly that much space. I did keep some of the languages though, maybe 15 of them....just in case.

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
i ALWAYS do a fresh new install when i get my Macs. There's a lot of stuff i won't use or need so there's no point in having them there.

But as one person said, it doesn't affect the system in any way. It just saves a bit of HDD space.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Macs and enjoy your MB :)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I also do the fresh reinstall of OS with my Macs. I want to get rid of languages I don't need, trial software I don't need, printer drivers I don't need (I basically get rid of all the printer drivers), and some others. The internal HD is getting bigger and bigger after each revision; but, I find I don't want to waste the internal hard drive space even for a 500 GB drive. I freely waste space with my external hard drives, though:cool:

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Is that possible? Dang. I cut out all the stuff I didn't want, and I didn't save nearly that much space. I did keep some of the languages though, maybe 15 of them....just in case.

I think this is possible if you take into account all the software, which is installed in addition to the system on a newly bought Mac. iLife and the iWork trial together already come close to the 9GB, I think. If you don't need those, you can save a lot of space. You don't have to reinstall though. You can delete them from the standard install. However some of these programs also have some resources (big ones) in the Library folder on the hard disc. Therefore it is not sufficient to delete the Application alone to gain back the disc space.

RadarLove

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but how exactly does one delete an app from OS X? There's not "uninstall" app like what we got on Windows.

This is my first Mac as well, and I did a fresh install on a new HDD, so I got rid of all the demo software, most language and printer drivers as well. Saved quite a bit of space. (~6-7GB)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but how exactly does one delete an app from OS X? There's not "uninstall" app like what we got on Windows.

This is my first Mac as well, and I did a fresh install on a new HDD, so I got rid of all the demo software, most language and printer drivers as well. Saved quite a bit of space. (~6-7GB)

You don't have to hijack the thread. Info you are looking for is already here on this site. Look for "Guides." It's a must for new Mac users, I think.

krestfallen

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2005
I also do the fresh reinstall of OS with my Macs. I want to get rid of languages I don't need, trial software I don't need, printer drivers I don't need (I basically get rid of all the printer drivers), and some others. The internal HD is getting bigger and bigger after each revision; but, I find I don't want to waste the internal hard drive space even for a 500 GB drive. I freely waste space with my external hard drives, though:cool:

i absolutely understand what you mean. it's the same for me. bought a 160GB hdd and just use 70 or so ;)

sorry if i hijack but i have to say i love this forum. you are all so kind. excuse me :-D

jaern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006

Thanks for all your tips and welcoming!

Just to let you know, I did a new install and indeed saved 8,8gb. Now I need to search this forum for good apps to install. I feel like such a beginner, can't even use the mouse properly... :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Generally you just drag the icon from the Applications folder to the trash and then empty the trash.

If you used an installer (some apps still do) then there's generally an un-installer included in the package.

But, seeing as applications in OSX are, for all intents and purposes, self-contained, you just drag the app to the trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.