New MBA owner...quick questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Quackington, Aug 6, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Hi all,

I finally upgraded my 7 year old 12" PowerBook (which is on Leopard) with an 11" i7 MBA the other week.

How can I tell which make of SSD my machine has? Also, Safari seems to always open up with the last window that was open before I close it. How can I get it to open on my selected homepage?

Thanks.

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

1.  > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Serial-ATA

2. System Preferences > General > Uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps"

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. When I went to system info to find out which make my SSD is, I get the following:
    How can I tell which make of SSD is this from the info above?

Also, I have set my energy saver settings to put my display to sleep after 1 minute of inactivity, and to go to sleep after 10 minutes. After a minute, the display goes to sleep, but I actually have to hit a key to wake the display again (not just run my finger over the trackpad). Not only this, but I have to enter my password each time after the display goes to sleep. Is there any way to stop this? On my old Powerbook, it would not ask me for a password if my display or my computer when to sleep unless I had left it on the login screen beforehand.

Thanks.

4. macrumors 68020

peskaa

You have a Samsung SSD, noted by the "SM" in APPLE SSD SM 256C

5. macrumors member

You have the Samsung SSD. "SM" = Samsung

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Require Password...

I think Lion has a "feature" that moving the mouse/touching the trackpad won't wake the system from sleep. A key press or click is required now. I'm sure there must be a way to change this, but I'm not sure how.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

7. macrumors 6502

Hope you're enjoying your new mac!

8. thread starter macrumors member

I am, thanks, though I do miss my 12" PowerBook. I still have it, but its 7 years is showing, as it really really chugs when it comes to anything flash. It also weighs so much more than m MBA.

I always said I would never upgrade to a laptop without a disc drive when the MBA was first announced a number of years ago, but no I own one!

9. macrumors 6502

At one point I was in the same camp. Then I realized that I rarely ever purchase software anymore. The app store helps that. Remote disk is a really neat feature as well.