Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I am looking to pull the trigger on one of these in the next day or two. I've been having trouble deciding! While I love the look and function/speed of the 15" I am worried a little about the size as it's been years since i've opened a 15" -- but part of me wants to try again, and have the extra screen real estate, speed, graphics, etc. I do travel once a month on plane and work in coffee shots twice weekly. View lots of MRI images and write papers. Please help! Just affraid the 13" maybe to small and I won't be totally happy with it, despite it being 'such a good size'. Yesterday at the apple store here in Seattle, I texted the 15" 2.7,n 16GB and it was lightening fast (impressive).

Any thoughts much appreciated!

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
I am looking to pull the trigger on one of these in the next day or two. I've been having trouble deciding! While I love the look and function/speed of the 15" I am worried a little about the size as it's been years since i've opened a 15" -- but part of me wants to try again, and have the extra screen real estate, speed, graphics, etc. I do travel once a month on plane and work in coffee shots twice weekly. View lots of MRI images and write papers. Please help! Just affraid the 13" maybe to small and I won't be totally happy with it, despite it being 'such a good size'. Yesterday at the apple store here in Seattle, I texted the 15" 2.7,n 16GB and it was lightening fast (impressive).

Any thoughts much appreciated!

I'm in a similar boat between the 13 and 15. I love the screen real estate but I'm worried about the size eventhough its smaller than the previous 15" (2015). The graphics card is nice for some casual gaming and I assume photo editing would benefit. I do not really edit videos, maybe iMovie sometimes.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I'm in a similar boat between the 13 and 15. I love the screen real estate but I'm worried about the size eventhough its smaller than the previous 15" (2015). The graphics card is nice for some casual gaming and I assume photo editing would benefit. I do not really edit videos, maybe iMovie sometimes.

True but I am one of those who dont see a 15" MBP for just video and photo editing.. I write many papers, research online, read MRIs etc. and like a big screen.. not to mention the 15 is just overall faster.. not just for photos/videos..

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
I agree with you, I'm contemplating the 15". I currently have a 12" Retina MacBook, its nice, but the screen is pretty small to get anything done when looking things up and writing.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I agree with you, I'm contemplating the 15". I currently have a 12" Retina MacBook, its nice, but the screen is pretty small to get anything done when looking things up and writing.

Yeah it's true! I have the same issue with the 13" now when writing especially or reading. My friend has the new 15 and I guess I'm just surprised just how much faster and nice it really is. Maybe worth sucking up the size !

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Writing and pro photo work...go for the 13"

Plan to do some serious video work...go for the 15"

There is absolutely no one who's working without an external monitor for professional post processing in photography. I've been in the biz for years. So for me the 13 made much more sense.

But you seriously can't go far wrong with either machine...just go to the 15 if you plan a lot of video work.

R.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
Sounds like your 'gut feeling' is strongly 15", so that's probably what you'll be happy with. Me, I've been using an MPA 11" the last few years. Will miss it, but RAM (4 GB) has become too limited. Connect to monitors at home & office, but spend 3+ hours on trains/subways/buses every day, so portability is important. Don't think the MB 12" is enough of an advance, so will probably get a new MBP 13".

^_^

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
I'm exactly in the same boat! I don't know what to do anymore. At first I decided to hold off and see the verdict on the battery situation (so that'd help me decide on either 13" or 15"), but I now realize that it's way beyond this... I just don't know what to pick anymore.

I'm going to take it to the uni (law), use it for lots of reading, typing (Docs, PDFs, etc.), so I thought the extra screen real-estate will be good. Also, I didn't want to limit myself to what I could do with it (even though I have a PC). I would like to be able to take advantage of a quad-core CPU, dGPU, etc., in case I use Photoshop or start editing videos (I don't do the latter as of now, but who knows).

And on the other hand, I am wondering if the extra weight and size is worth it.... And then again! if I do go for the 13", won't it be too small for typing and reading efficiently and comfortably?

I'm so lost and it's really frustrating, because I needed this latop ASAP, even a month ago. But I didn't want to rush any decisions for a device I'll be using for the next few years to come.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I'm exactly in the same boat! I don't know what to do anymore. At first I decided to hold off and see the verdict on the battery situation (so that'd help me decide on either 13" or 15"), but I now realize that it's way beyond this... I just don't know what to pick anymore.

I'm going to take it to the uni (law), use it for lots of reading, typing (Docs, PDFs, etc.), so I thought the extra screen real-estate will be good. Also, I didn't want to limit myself to what I could do with it (even though I have a PC). I would like to be able to take advantage of a quad-core CPU, dGPU, etc., in case I use Photoshop or start editing videos (I don't do the latter as of now, but who knows).

And on the other hand, I am wondering if the extra weight and size is worth it.... And then again! if I do go for the 13", won't it be too small for typing and reading efficiently and comfortably?

I'm so lost and it's really frustrating, because I needed this latop ASAP, even a month ago. But I didn't want to rush any decisions for a device I'll be using for the next few years to come.

yeah, tough decision...i put my friends 13 and 15 in my brief case couldn't tell a huge difference it IS only one pound!
the more I think about it the more i like the quad core, and larger screen for documents etc... :)

robertfrancis70

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
I've had both the 13 and the 15 in the recent past and I picked up the 2016 13" non-TB when it appeared in October. After a week or so with that, I returned it and got the 15". Since battery life has been good for me on the 15", I've been toting it about with nothing in my bag aside from the computer and I'm finding it surprisingly close in weight and feel to the previous 13".

The 2016 13" is noticeably light, yes, but it's also noticeably more cramped in terms of screen space. The decision was clear to me when I went to a store (not Apple) to decide whether to dive back in (after returning the 13" nonTB). They had a 13 TB directly beside a 15". This for me was the best way to compare them and although I appreciated the portability and compactness of the 13, I kept moving back to the 15 and spent most of my time in the store on the 15 -- finding it generally more compelling to be working on that larger screen.

Final thought: the smaller footprint of the new 15" compared to the 2015 may seem slight, but in practical terms, it up-ends earlier assumptions about what a 15" MBP is. The new 15" is really something closer to the older 13" in terms of weight and feel. Thinner, slighter, more portable -- but with all the glory of that larger screen...

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I did the same, I had a 13" MBP after coming from an 11" Air, but I had to return it due to graphics problems. That's when I saw the 15" in-store and its so much smaller than the last 15" that I decided to go for it. The footprint isn't that much bigger than the 13" and the 13" isn't that much lighter either - if you want ultra portable you go for an iPad Pro or a 12" MacBook.

The analogies above are very true too - the new 15" is very similar to the old 13" in terms of size and weight.

Reactions: kp98077

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I've had both the 13 and the 15 in the recent past and I picked up the 2016 13" non-TB when it appeared in October. After a week or so with that, I returned it and got the 15". Since battery life has been good for me on the 15", I've been toting it about with nothing in my bag aside from the computer and I'm finding it surprisingly close in weight and feel to the previous 13".

The 2016 13" is noticeably light, yes, but it's also noticeably more cramped in terms of screen space. The decision was clear to me when I went to a store (not Apple) to decide whether to dive back in (after returning the 13" nonTB). They had a 13 TB directly beside a 15". This for me was the best way to compare them and although I appreciated the portability and compactness of the 13, I kept moving back to the 15 and spent most of my time in the store on the 15 -- finding it generally more compelling to be working on that larger screen.

Final thought: the smaller footprint of the new 15" compared to the 2015 may seem slight, but in practical terms, it up-ends earlier assumptions about what a 15" MBP is. The new 15" is really something closer to the older 13" in terms of weight and feel. Thinner, slighter, more portable -- but with all the glory of that larger screen...

SO very true the new 15 is like the old 13 and what I struggle with is the new 13 seems tooooo small! thanks for the feedback!!

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
I came from 13in 2013 to a 15in 2015, and now back to a 13in maxed out 2016. in terms of performance, feels the same as my 15 inch, but thats probably because i only use it for facebook/twitter/youtube and movies along with imessage and what not. Just when i settled with the 13 inch, along comes this thread and makes me second question my decision :mad:

Reactions: ka-spot

matixryder

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
15" is way better compares to 13". 1lb difference won't make that much impact of the machine portability. I would go with 15" for a Quad Core CPU, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD anyday.

Make Apple Great Again

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
It seems that your biggest concern is portability, which was something I addressed earlier in another thread, which I will post below. I think portability is a non issue with the 15 vs 13 since they have reduced the overall size and weight of the 15 inch compared to previous models, and made it more comparable to previous 13 inch generations. Also I think the main issue is price... the 15 inch is considerably more expensive, but personally I love the extra screen real estate and it's something that once you get used to, you can't go back to a 13 (I've used both). I personally went with the 15 TB version this year.

You have a 13' 2012 MBP:
Height: 1.9cm
Width: 31.4cm
Depth: 21.9cm
Weight: 3.57lbs

2016 15' MBP:
Height: 1.55cm
Width: 34.93cm
Depth: 24.07cm
Weight: 4.02lbs

If you found your current 13' inch laptop to be portable, you should have no issues with the 2016 15' laptop in terms of portability (only .45 lbs heavier).

The current 15' is shorter by .35cm, and is only 3.5cm bigger in width (~1.4inches), and about 2.2 cm bigger in depth (.86 inches). Makes sense since it is a bigger screen.

The footprint of the current 15' inch model is smaller than last years too, and the machine is highly portable (At the expense of many other things people are upset about), so if portability is a key factor for you, then the current 15' should cause no issues for you going from a 13' late 2012 to a current 15'. You can always return your MBP too if it doesn't work.

I'm someone who use to use 13' and went to a 15', and I can honestly say I wont be going back to a 13 inch, there are just too many benefits with a 15 inch for what I use it for and the portability is not an issue.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
It seems that your biggest concern is portability, which was something I addressed earlier in another thread, which I will post below. I think portability is a non issue with the 15 vs 13 since they have reduced the overall size and weight of the 15 inch compared to previous models, and made it more comparable to previous 13 inch generations. Also I think the main issue is price... the 15 inch is considerably more expensive, but personally I love the extra screen real estate and it's something that once you get used to, you can't go back to a 13 (I've used both). I personally went with the 15 TB version this year.

Potablity isn't my biggest concern, performance really is and a screen not being too small and kinda squinting. Im sure it will fit on a tray table on a plane - sure not perfectly but sure it can.... not everything is going to be perfect. But like you I think I will LOVE the extra screen real estate! I know that the 15 is not suppose to perform better than 13 for Facebook,w eb and basics but my friends certainly does for whatever reasson!!

gthorson

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
Southern California
I went from the 13" to the 2016 15". The old 15" was too big and heavy, but the new one is closer to the "sweet spot" for me. Yet I probably would have chosen a 2016 14" if there were one.

Reactions: kp98077

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Portability is very subjective. If I'm travelling, it really doesn't make much difference how big the laptop is because I have a laptop bag/rucksack which will have other stuff in it too and I really don't notice the bulk when walking around.

If I'm working from the main office, there's a machine there I have to use for my main client work, but I need something to use for my other client work. I generally run or bike to that office so it means I have a rucksack with my stuff for the day and that means I have a very clear view about what's portable.

Anything larger (and therefore heavier) than a 9.7" iPad is really noticeable. Even my old 11" MBA was noticeably heavier than the iPad. I had a 12" RMB for a short while which is very portable and a small footprint, but that extra pound of weight is really noticeable on my back. So for me, once you've got a laptop in there, whether its the 13" MBP or 15" MBP there's really not much difference - its a significant weight in the bag.

Everyone's use-case and definition of portable is different.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

Honestly, if it is for Law, go with 13", or even the 12" MacBook. 15" is overkill in cost/performance and to be honest, for reading etc, you don't need a 15" screen. I've read books on screens as small as 10" happily.

I studied Computer Science happily on 13", so for Law, I see it being no problems. Even if you want to dabble in Photoshop etc, you don't need the dGPU or the Quad Core.

The best option would actually be to buy the refreshed 12" MacBook when it comes next year, but you probably aren't in a position to wait I guess. Go for the non-touch MacBook Pro, or any Windows Ultrabook if you are not OS dependant.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think for most people the 13" is more then enough, though I can totally understand the siren call of quad core, dGPU machine with a large gorgeous display (*starts drooling*) but for myself, I started really enjoying the 13" form factor because if its size and ease of travel. Its much better to carry around, or travel, i.e., airport, airplane usage, etc.

I'm on a 13" laptop now, and while I wouldn't mind a 15" the cost of the 15" is so high (at least for me), that I can't justify it.

^_^

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
Honestly, if it is for Law, go with 13", or even the 12" MacBook. 15" is overkill in cost/performance and to be honest, for reading etc, you don't need a 15" screen. I've read books on screens as small as 10" happily.

I studied Computer Science happily on 13", so for Law, I see it being no problems. Even if you want to dabble in Photoshop etc, you don't need the dGPU or the Quad Core.

The best option would actually be to buy the refreshed 12" MacBook when it comes next year, but you probably aren't in a position to wait I guess. Go for the non-touch MacBook Pro, or any Windows Ultrabook if you are not OS dependant.
The thing is (which I didn't mention in this thread by mentioned in another) that I'm having a somewhat unified price on all models, meaning that it does not matter whatsoever whether I take a maxed-out 13" or a maxed-out 15", so the cost factor is irrelevant to the decision. Otherwise, you're right - I'd totally go for the 13", because I know that it's definitely enough! Seeing how price is no factor, the question is if I should opt for the 15", instead.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
The thing is (which I didn't mention in this thread by mentioned in another) that I'm having a somewhat unified price on all models, meaning that it does not matter whatsoever whether I take a maxed-out 13" or a maxed-out 15", so the cost factor is irrelevant to the decision. Otherwise, you're right - I'd totally go for the 13", because I know that it's definitely enough! Seeing how price is no factor, the question is if I should opt for the 15", instead.

I personally find the 15" too cumbersome and I believe that the dGPU negatively affects battery life by turning on randomly on non-gpu intensive stuff. It will likely be more noisy and generate more heat overall - you have to ask yourself if these are trade offs worth it - which may be if you need the power. If not, it's not worth it imo.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
I came from 13in 2013 to a 15in 2015, and now back to a 13in maxed out 2016. in terms of performance, feels the same as my 15 inch, but thats probably because i only use it for facebook/twitter/youtube and movies along with imessage and what not. Just when i settled with the 13 inch, along comes this thread and makes me second question my decision :mad:
Switched back to a 15 inch lol and now I want the 13 inch again. fml

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I had a 15" inch and while the power was impressive, and yes it's as thin as ever, it's still very "wide" and takes up a lot of room.

I exchanged it and went to the 13" inch version. Best decision I've made just simply on portability alone, and with a monitor at work and at home, needing a bigger screen is a non-issue.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Went with the 13" first but now bought the 15". Either you have to up the screen scaling to a point where you can't see the text anymore in order to fit enough stuff on the screen, or you get improved legibility but lose the real estate with the 13". The 15" is very light for its size and highly portable. I don't feel any difference between carrying these two in my backpack. At first I was going to keep the 13" as well but have now decided to sell it and get a Surface Book for the money to get a foot in Microsoft's door. I'd be lying if I said I like where Apple is going, so I'm slowly getting ready to switch to Windows 10. I figure it's less painful if I slowly easy into it. I have the strong feeling that my 15" TB MBP will be my last Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.