Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
This has happened to me as well. Closing the lid to start the sleep process, and then opening it before it's settled in for its nap, often leads to issues.

To me, this is not acceptable behavior.

I'm just going to throw this out there real fast.....

If you close the display to your PowerBook/iBook/MacBook/MacBook Pro, initializing the sleep mode, and then onen the display before it goes to sleep, what the hell do you think is going to happen?? It is still trying to enter sleep mode while you are negating that command by asking it to wake. It is going to get confused. Not a major issue.

shakerbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
I have posted this on the Apple forum and it keeps disappearing. I guess they find it inappropriate.

I am losing my patience with Apple. I went to my local Apple store tonight with the intent of purchasing a Core 2 MacBook Pro. While I was waiting for some help I was tinkering with a new Core 2, 233, 2GB MBP. While I was looking at the magnetic latches I decided to close the lid, the MBP went to sleep. When I reopened it the screen was dark and the sleep light was still on. I tried everything to wake it up, nothing seemed to work even the power button was inoperable. Finally I removed all connections, waited a bit, reconnected the cables, opened and closed the cover and everything came back on to where it was when it was shut off. I went to another new MBP and this did not happen. So I went back to the one that I had trouble with and tried to put it to sleep with the software, that did nothing, closed the lid again and everything locked up. I left it in the sleep state, found a GENIUS and explained the problem, she said all you have to do is hit any key. I said I am well aware of that so I said why don't you show me. She was unable to wake the new MBP and she was getting more flustered each and every second. She remove all connections, tried the power switch to no avail. I started to say something to her and before I could get it out she sarcastically said "don't worry about it", I then said it looks like they never fixed all the problems from the previous MBP. She told me to leave this one alone and go try another one. I then asked for a manager so I could tell them of how I was treated, he was the least bit interested so I explained the situation to him, before you knew it there were two more geniuses along with him trying to wake it up. They tried to tell me that it was a new feature called "hibernating" I asked them how to get out of it and one of the geniuses said that they didn't update the software on this particular MBP and that it was jury-rigged. I thought to myself "what a bunch of ****, they even had the audacity to try to get me to purchase it right now. I also heard one of the geniuses say to the other that his new MBP arrived today and it's in the back. He said "I'll be real ticked if mine is like that". I then left the store. What the **** is going on at APPLE?

I am surprised they did not charge you for tinkering and subsequently breaking their machine. :mad:

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
spencecb said:
I'm just going to throught this out there real fast.....

If you close the display to your PowerBook/iBook/MacBook/MacBook Pro, initializing the sleep mode, and then onen the display before it goes to sleep, what the hell do you think is going to happen?? It is still trying to enter sleep mode while you are negating that command by asking it to wake. It is going to get confused. Not a major issue.

100% agreed. thank you!

It is a major issue if you have to take the battery out to get it to work again.

And besides, this has only started happening since 10.4.8.

actually no. MB/MBP have always been like this.

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Oct 27, 2006
My PowerBook very rarely does not want to wake from sleep either. The only thing to get is going is to unplug the power and remove the battery...

This only sometimes happens when the battery is almost empty and it goes to sleep to save power.

yeah and 1 in 1000 times on my ibook g4 as well

iBorg20181

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
relax. apple is rushing things out the door right now because of the transition. next year when we have nice problem free computers, we will look at this "era" in apple computing, and say, " i liked what they were trying to do. i wish it would have been executed better, but they did a good job."

I don't think they're "rushing things out the door" at all!

Every computer product has its own issues, some minor, some major, and the MBPs are no exception. The titanium PBs had flaking paint and loud fans (I have one now!), the aluminum PBs had "spotted" screen issues, the last-gen aluminum PBs had "lined" screen issues, the first gen CoreDuo MBPs had heat issues and "mooing," the MBs had shutdown issues - most of these issues have been minor, and fixes found by Apple.

Actually, I think that Apple has been working hard at fixing the heat issue, etc. before releasing the Merom MBPs (at least I hope so - mine arrives Thursday!), at least we're hearing that from early reports of new Merom MBP owners.

Back on the topic of this thread, the "failure to awaken" problem isn't limited to MBPs - my 1 GHz TiBook does this periodically, I think since 10.4.7 update! It's only occasional, and most of the time will eventually awaken with alternating taps on the power button and spacebar. But sometimes I've had to "power off" pressing the power button and restart. Anyone have a solution?

iBorg

Greebazoid

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
Cape Town
the guy has a point tho

Apple products are premium products - albeit in a commodity market place. The new found success Apple is having with their products (and subsequent increase in feet-thru-doors, market share, service calls) seems to have caught many stores off balance.

Do we really care tho? No, not yet. I love my Mac(s) and if I need help, I toddle off to our unix support division

happiness

GOOFA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Skokie, IL
Timmillwood...
FYI my neighbor brought over his new HP c2d notebook and I tried the same procedure that caused the malfunction to the MBP c2d to the HP. I'm sorry to say that each of the three times the HP reacted as I would expect, The screen came on when I opened the lid to exactly to where I left it when the lid was closed.
Judging by many of the responses, it seems to me that many of the posters seem to be satisfied with by my standards the mediocre quality of build and quality control which plagues the Apple notebook line as of late.
http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/macbooks.html#intro
Please understand where I'm coming from. I have been using Apple products from the mid to late 80's and I have purchased 2 dozen or so Apple products ( cpu's, monitors, printers, etc.) with not one regret, not one hardware problem, nothing that required me to lose the use of my product for even 1 day. That is what I was brought up with and what I expect from Apple. I know these expectations come at a price and I like so many others agreed to that price and expected and received a perfect or close to perfect product for our money. Apple support was unequalled by others. When you called them with a concern, your call was answered almost immediately or hold time was down to a minimum. The person on the other end of the line took ownership of your problem and 99% of the time by the end of your call your problem was no more. Apple wrote the book on customer satisfaction and quality build. It saddens me to see the recent turn-a-round of events at Apple. I feel to purchase an Apple product nowadays, one must still pay a premium, but one is not getting the benefits of the past. As far as the stores go, and believe me I'm not thin skinned is that the Customer comes first and there is no excuse for a "smart assed" comment from a salesperson. Many of the responders drew their own conclusions on what took place, that's their perogative, I need to go no further. Basically my post was just to be informative. I meant Apple no harm, all I'm guilty of is wanting to purchase a new MBP that's hopefully problem free like the rest of my Apple products and if need be I want Apple support and their stores to treat me and all customers with respect. Years ago, you would never find a product in a company store not working perfect, that should never happen. I can only hope that this is not indicative of whats to come.

Superlat

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2006
Seattle
More

I dont give a rats A aout customer service, really. I had a bad experience with
service at the computer store, but oh well. What I cant tolerate is forking over $2500 bucks for a sketchy computer, not with exotic sideline problems, but with problems as fundamental as overheating and shutting down and kernel panics.
Enjoy those when you're running a for-pay light or dj show. Yeah, I know pros use backup. Pros also buy gear with pro reliability. Every time I come back I see more problems with MBPs, to say nothing of the Macbooks. This does not make me believe in buying Macs cobbled together new laptops.

giggity goo-ru

macrumors member
I think this thread is getting way out of hand. There have been some good points made... but seriously guys, the flaming is getting a bit much.

as for the subject being discussed, I think everyone just needs to realize that with ANY product you buy there are going to be a certain number that have inherent quirks and defects. These defects are no reason to call an otherwise great product "cobbled together." If you can't accept that your money can't buy perfection... then well... at least don't rant about it here.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cant believe I'm posting this.

Goofa, you're complaining about a machine you didnt even buy?

I hope I'm wrong, else I need to speak to that manager for not telling you to post this and a refund of 5mins of my life.

Gah!

GOOFA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Skokie, IL
My new Core 2 Duo MacBook

This post is an update:

Just What the doctor ordered. My recent purchase of the MacBook Core 2 Duo so far has been like every other Apple purchase: Fit and finish is excellent, it is extremely quiet and glossy screen looks fantastic. It has a week build of 44. So far, So Good - I hope it stays that way.:)

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
This post is an update:

Just What the doctor ordered. My recent purchase of the MacBook Core 2 Duo so far has been like every other Apple purchase: Fit and finish is excellent, it is extremely quiet and glossy screen looks fantastic. It has a week build of 44. So far, So Good - I hope it stays that way.:)

double personality??!? man, go see a shrink ... :p

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
deadpixels...

Help me understand.

i was just kiddin' man, only i reacted a bit as you were quite against buying a mbpro at first (after your applestore experience) and end up buying one :D the only important thing is if you're happy with your purchase :D

GOOFA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Skokie, IL
deadpixels...
Thanks for the reply, but I purchased the new MacBook Core 2 Duo not the MacBook Pro C2D which was the topic of my original post. Peace my friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.