Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I have a 15 2.0 gHz MBP Core Duo. I wanted to upgrade the harddrive and have several questions:

1. What kind would I have to get? Any recommendations? I'd be willing to spend up to the 200ish range.

2. Would there be any way to copy my existing drive to the new drive as in create an exact copy so i don't have to reinstall everything or would i have to reinstall everything?

Many thanks.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I have a 15 2.0 gHz MBP Core Duo. I wanted to upgrade the harddrive and have several questions:

1. What kind would I have to get? Any recommendations? I'd be willing to spend up to the 200ish range.

2. Would there be any way to copy my existing drive to the new drive as in create an exact copy so i don't have to reinstall everything or would i have to reinstall everything?

Many thanks.

What is your current HD capacity?

1. Toshiba 200GB, Seagate 160GB, Hitachi 160GB

2. If you have an external, SuperDuper! works great.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Hi. I just upgraded my MacBook's hard drive with the Seagate 160GB hard drive, and couldn't be happier. I purchased an external enclosure from OWC for my MacBook's old hard drive, and used SuperDuper! to clone my hard drive onto the new hard drive. I didn't have to reinstall Tiger, and it only took about 1 and a half hours to copy over almost 80 GB of data to the external hard drive via FireWire. It's incredibly easy, and I'd recommend using SuperDuper! as well.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2006
VA
I just upgraded my macbook with a 160gb seagate and an external hard drive case from OWC. I choose the 160gb seagate that is refered to from phungy. It was so simple. Only thing was that it appears I did get a bad hard drive from OWC. After trouble shooting for a couple days I called OWC and they told me to send it back and they ended up sending me another within a few days. The new one seems to be great. As for copying my existing drive onto my new drive I just put the Mac osx cd into the computer and during the installation process it asked me if I would like to upload any files, so I just plugged in my external HD and brought the items over which was simple.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
i would either go for the Hitachi 160 or Seagate 160...the Hitachi is cheaper. any reason to not get the Hitachi????

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
i would either go for the Hitachi 160 or Seagate 160...the Hitachi is cheaper. any reason to not get the Hitachi????

I guess if you're on a budget? But members here who have the Hitachi have said much praise. I guess with the Seagate you are paying for a better warranty...

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
You aren't going to open your MBP up yourself are you???

yeah. it seems almost as simple as trading out RAM which I already have done. and if things appear to difficult, i have some very capable friends who help out.

it's not like i'm switching out the motherboard or graphics card....

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
yeah. it seems almost as simple as trading out RAM which I already have done. and if things appear to difficult, i have some very capable friends who help out.

it's not like i'm switching out the motherboard or graphics card....

To me it seems a little scary. Do know that it is not the same as upgrading on the macbook.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
i am well aware that upgrading a hard drive on a Macbook is inherently different from upgrading a hard drive on a MacBook Pro....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.