New MBP Speeds?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by btgordon, Aug 16, 2006.

1. btgordon macrumors member

Hey--

I've been browsing Macrumors for a while and posting a bit, and I keep seeing people saying that there will only be a 20% performance increase to Merom. However, does anyone think that Apple will release the new MBP with a 2.33 ghz model, giving a larger performance increase? Or has that 20% already factored that in?

Also, timewise, I am betting my money on the time around September 5th.

2. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I do not believe that Apple will release the MBP with the Yonah Core Duo at 2.33 GHz.

My reasoning for this is because I do not think that both the MBP and MB will be getting the Merom processor. I think that only the MBP will get it for the time being. The two notebooks are too similar in specs right now, and Apple needs to put a more substantial difference between the two.

Also, by giving the MBP the Merom first, this leaves the MB with the ability to gain speed using the Yonah (eventually up to the 2.33 GHz, but first using the 2.16 GHz).

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I believe the OP is thinking that they will release a Merom based MBP at 2.33 GHz.

As far as I know, the 20% increase is based on similar clock speeds so a Merom at 2.33 GHz should be more than 20% faster than a Yonah at 2.16 GHz. Of course I could be all wrong on that.

At any rate I think that it is entirely likely that they will release the Merom MBPs with a faster clock cycle as well. It makes it easier to sell as getting people (even many "Pro" users) to understand CPU differences is difficult. But everyone understands that a 2.33 is faster than a 2.16.

4. btgordon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I kept seeing people telling others not to get the new MBP because it would only be a 20% speed increase. However, with this clock difference there will be significantly more than that, enough that I am going to wait.

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

It all depends what you use the machine for.