New MBP - Use the system "as is" or do a fresh install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MCS, Feb 4, 2007.

1. MCS macrumors newbie

MCS

Hi,

tomorrow I should be the proud owner of a new MBP my first Mac ever :D
    But before I start using it I would like to know if you would recommend doing a fresh install of OS X when I get my MBP or just start using it. I remember when I still used Windows (have been solely using FreeBSD for nearly 6 years now) I tended to do a fresh reinstall of the OS when I got a new pre-built PC because in the default delivery state it had so much stuff I didn't want (software, weird partitioning etc.). Would you recommend me doing the same with my new Mac or leave it? With Windows especially a problem was that software never got deleted properly (left over registry-keys, config files buried in the system) so I had to reformat to get rid of the initial unwanted "trash".

2. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Just start using it. Unless, of course, you like watching the process of OS X installation.

3. Wikindie macrumors newbie

You don't need to reinstall OS X. There is no crap software that comes with Macs. If you do a fresh install though, and you decide you want to reinstall any of the software, it is available on the disc that came with your Mac.

4. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

My Macbook arrived last week with the standard OS installation on the drive which took up 18 GB. After a customized reinstall, i.e. no garageband sound loops, printer drivers, language files that I will never use etc. that size came down to 5.1 GB!

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have that 13 GB of space for my own, more productive use.

It really is so simple to do as well. Stick in the OS CD, open it, click the "install OS X" icon, it'll ask to restart after which it'll automatically load the installer. Just remember to click "Customize" on the bottom left of the window before installing otherwise it'll start installing all languages, printer drivers etc. and you can't stop it from doing so.

The only benefit is the gain in space though. It's not like the standard OS is 'dirty' or messed up in anyway. It will still work perfectly fine. :)

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

depends on if u use the pre-installed stuff, such as
    garageband, 2G
    iwork, 2G
    printer driver, 2G
    iDVD, 0.6G
    and all other stuff.

6. MCS thread starter macrumors newbie

MCS

OK thanks for the replies. I think I'll play around with the normal install for a while and when I know what I'll use do a reinstall to save space.

7. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Yes, good point. If you actually want to use those apps, and have most printers automatically recognized/ready to use on your mac, leave as is.

You can remove most of this stuff without a reinstallation anyway (should have mentioned that before :p ) Printer drivers I know you can, Garageband loops and other apps. etc. but I'm not sure if languages can be removed easily. I really don't see the point in having all the language files installed. Even if you speak two or three languages, do you really need the other 15 - 20? Seems pretty pointless.

Anyways, good luck with the new machine. You'll love it! :)

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, not that big

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's ~2GB. Lots and lots of loops (most in Library->Application Support->GarageBand).

iDVD is also a pig (also approaches 2GB).

If you delete those apps, you save almost 4GB.