New MBP... what to do with the old Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrMan112, Jun 19, 2007.

1. macrumors member

I just got a new MBP. I picked up a 2.2 $1999 version at the Apple store and I love it! I was comiung from a 3 year old Powerbook G4 (with only 512 RAM :eek: ) which was becoming one of the most frustrating things to use. If I see that beach ball again.....

Anyway, my new MBP runs amazingly better than the G4. Programs open instantly. No beach balls. I can have multiple programs (and not just Safari, Mail and iPhoto) open without feeling the system drag. My Powerpoint presentations run the way they were meant to. I can finally use Aperture. Dashboard widgets no longer take 30 seconds to 1 minute to load. Even little things like Coverflow in iTunes run the way that Apple intended them to. ANd of course, I love having the built in camera and Frontrow.

Anyway, the question is what the heck do I do with the Powerbook G4. I transferred everything over, so it doesn't really serve any useful purpose. Besides that, it's in appalling condition. THe hinge is broken, so I was using rubberbands to hold it closed. The case has alot of dents and scrapes. On the corner, part of the plastic trim has broken off, so you can see a hole into the machine. The powercord is in similar condition.

I was just curious to see what you guys did with your Powerbook G4s. I appreciate any advice. THanks!

2. macrumors regular

If it's still working fine (despite the condition), why not use it as a back-up machine?

3. macrumors member

i hope you take better care of the new one!! as for what to do, maybe have a play and check out some modding possibilities?

4. macrumors 6502

i'm in the same situation with you, but I have an even older PB G4 :|
    It still works great for everyday use, so I'm donating it.

5. macrumors 603

iSaint

Give it to a younger member of your family. They'll get a taste of the Mac side and you will have done your part!

6. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Congrats on the new MBP!

What are the specs on your old PowerBook? 15"? Speed of the CPU. I might be interested in buying it for parts...

7. macrumors 6502

sarge

Hand me down

I left mine at my parents house. Now my mom, dad, and sister all have logins and each use the machine. Of course I did max out the RAM for them (like any good son would...)

8. macrumors member

upgrade the ram and make a family member (or members) very happy!

9. macrumors member

aixporter

Same boat here as I just upgraded myself to a 15" macbook pro unibody 2.53ghz 4gig.
    i've pretty much waited on this for around 5 years now and finally couldn't stand it any longer. i am left speechless with this new machine.

Now i'm just deciding what to do with my ancient 512MB 15" powerbook g4. It doesn't even have USB2.0!

10. macrumors 68000

Pika

Because Powerbooks are so old and they still use PPC processors, i only use them to seed & leech torrent files 24h/7.

11. macrumors newbie

I was about to sell mine then all of a sudden the logic board broke. I sold it for parts on craigslist for $250. It was a 1.5ghz g4

12. macrumors 68020

dmmcintyre3

I used my iBook as a file server when I got my PowerBook that I have now. But then the iBook died. The broken hinge means it is most likely a Titanium which means it is even slower than my iBook. My iBook when it worked made a nice file server/ time machine server

13. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Give it to your parents/grandparents/brother/sister and set it up in clamshell mode if possible with their monitor, kb, mouse, speakers.
    If it's >450mhz it should work fine as an internet/word processing machine.

14. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

15. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

HA right you are! Well I'm sure it will still apply to some people around here. Maybe keeping it up to date will prevent similar threads from forming ;)

16. macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Yes, I know this thread is old - but I have a similar question. I'm considering buying an old, cheap laptop, mainly for iTunes use (music mainly, I guess movies won't work very well). I want something that can be an iTunes player permanently connected to my stereo, but preferably also be used for web browsing and word processing if needed. I have pictures, movies etc on my MBP, so no heavy stuff - just iTunes, and as an emergency word processor/web browser if both my girlfriend and I need to work on something at the same time.

So, will a iBook G3 suffice? Powerbook G4? What's the absolute minimum RAM and processor speed? I used to have a 1,3 Ghz G4 with 756Mb, which worked fine for these kinds of tasks, but can I be even cheaper;)?

17. macrumors 6502a

Do you still have that PowerBook? Post some pics!