Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
For multiple reasons:
[Rant mode on]
  1. No longer my multiple magsafe2 adapters will work. BTW, the magnetic connection have been one great feature, that I'm also very sad to lose if I upgrade. I even bought a magsafe to magsafe2 adapter, so I can travel with my daughter's charger, and use it in both MBPs. Well, that's not going to happen anymore.
  2. What should I do with my thunderbolt cables and dock? I'll have to buy a new one, don't I?
  3. I use the SD card reader every day, I'm a photographer. So, I'll now have to use an external USB reader, but wait, I can't use it directly, I'll have to use a USB-C to USB adapter, and then the reader. Very cumbersome compared to what I do now, that is simply insert the card in the slot. Boom. And for those using SD card memory upgrades, they are out of luck as well.
  4. What should I do with my thunderbolt to VGA, or DVI adapters? They won't work either. And I can't hook it directly to the company projectors, I'll have to run around with an adapter too, like all the Windows users do. They'll laugh at me very hard :(
[Rant mode off]

Other than that, I like the design, the keyboard looks great and the touchbar have great potential. So, did Apple officially got rid of the glowing apple sign? That's a bit sad, don't you think? I know it was a useless feature, but it was kind of a statement. Well, I can live with that. No biggie.

Anyone else having the same issues?

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
Keep your mid-2015 macbook pro. It will keep you a long time for now :p. Enjoy it and hope that Apple will come with something better next time. If not... buy their products or move to windows.

I am a musician and I need different ports and I love magsafe. I will try to buy the mid-2015 model,maxed out and if Apple will keep selling that toy I will move to windows or buy a Mac Pro or something powerfull. But as you know a Macbook Pro can have a long life. Hell a 2010 macbook pro with a SSD is a rocket even now. So... enjoy it and pray xD

Ow and RIP backlit Logo :( and cMBP late 2012 :(

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It sounds like you already have a bag of adapters. Apple is offering a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

So you add 1 more adapter to the pile you already have, and everything will work. I guess you might like a new SD card reader as well. It's ten bucks. https://www.amazon.com/EC-Technolog...77663896&sr=1-8&keywords=usb-c+sd+card+reader I'm sure you have a camera bag that this can live in with no real issue.

For a year or so this will feel cumbersome because it's different. But it's the future for the next 5-10 years. With my usb-c retina MacBook, I now travel with 1 tiny power brick and one 1 ounce adapter. With that I can connect any of my peripherals and charge my MacBook, my iPad, and my iPhone.

Reactions: robotica

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Keep your mid-2015 macbook pro. It will keep you a long time for now :p. Enjoy it and hope that Apple will come with something better next time. If not... buy their products or move to windows.

I am a musician and I need different ports and I love magsafe. I will try to buy the mid-2015 model,maxed out and if Apple will keep selling that toy I will move to windows or buy a Mac Pro or something powerfull. But as you know a Macbook Pro can have a long life. Hell a 2010 macbook pro with a SSD is a rocket even now. So... enjoy it and pray xD

I just ordered The Max amount of RAM and a 512GB SSD for my mid 2012. Going to use her till it becomes slow or dies.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Anyone know if they are at least including some sort of adapters in the box? TB3 to USB at least?

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
It sounds like you already have a bag of adapters. Apple is offering a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

So you add 1 more adapter to the pile you already have, and everything will work. I guess you might like a new SD card reader as well. It's ten bucks. https://www.amazon.com/EC-Technolog...77663896&sr=1-8&keywords=usb-c+sd+card+reader I'm sure you have a camera bag that this can live in with no real issue.

For a year or so this will feel cumbersome because it's different. But it's the future for the next 5-10 years. With my usb-c retina MacBook, I now travel with 1 tiny power brick and one 1 ounce adapter. With that I can connect any of my peripherals and charge my MacBook, my iPad, and my iPhone.

Well, yes and no. I don't need any adapter or cable to read SD cards or hook the computer to the company proyector, or even to read a simple USB stick, but with the new MBPs, looks like I'll have to.
[doublepost=1477665454][/doublepost]

Indeed. I'm still really impressed with my daughter's 2011 MBP performance. All I did was max up the RAM to 16GB, and switched the drive to a Samsung EVO PRO SSD.
All our old Windows machines, no matter if they were Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba or Acer, they simply destroyed themselves after 3 or 4 years.

Havok83

macrumors regular
May 12, 2012
It sucks indeed needing an adapter for everything you need to use on that. I really dont see why they wouldnt have at least one standard USB port. Apple should have phased that out instead of going all in with USB-C

Reactions: kerrikins

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I simply don't understand why Apple can't have ONE line of laptops that truly is "Pro" oriented with lots of port variety built in.

As soon as the keynote brought up "we've made it thinner, lighter, less volume" I started rolling my eyes.

Why is it so impressive that they reduce it's size/volume when it comes at the direct expense of built in ports and convenient dongle free options?

That's not "innovation" - It's like packing less in your luggage and "shocker!", all of the sudden the bag is smaller and thinner and lighter. No s*** sherlock..

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I simply don't understand why Apple can't have ONE line of laptops that truly is "Pro" oriented with lots of port variety built in.

As soon as the keynote brought up "we've made it thinner, lighter, less volume" I started rolling my eyes.

Why is it so impressive that they reduce it's size/volume when it comes at the direct expense of built in ports and convenient dongle free options?

That's not "innovation" - It's like packing less in your luggage and "shocker!", all of the sudden the bag is smaller and thinner and lighter. No s*** sherlock..

Their version of pro is no longer our version of pro.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013

Exactly my point. Is a PRO computer, made for people who know what we are doing. Let's have more connection options instead of less. I'd be happy with 2 USB-C connectors, 2 standard mini display-port/thunderbolt-2 & 2 USB 3.0. There is a lot of space on the sides of the computer. Why getting rid of all the legacy ports?
I can live without HDMI and SD Card slot, but please, let us plug standard USB devices.

BTW, I missed one connector that I still use every day, and that is my Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. I guess I'll have to get a USB-C to Ethernet adapter too.

So in the end, is not like is just the cost of the new computer, but a new dock and a bunch of adapters that need to be added to have the same functionality. And not replicating the ones I already have. I'll need adapter even for my iPhone. All that for a bit more speed and a fancy touchbar.

As many have mentioned, I think I'll pass this year, and see how the new line grows with next year's models.

Last edited:
Reactions: idunn

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
See, this is a complaint I'll never get on board with. Go buy previous version MacBook Pro. It's a fantastic machine (I own one, early 2015). All the ports you want, plenty of power and until this dropped, light and small for what you get. Plus retina.

Apple is introducing a brand new machine into the marketplace. They are trying to push for lighter and lighter and thinner and thinner. They are trying to innovate. This is apple not friggin' Dell Computers. Because that's what the public demands. And btw, more battery life and more power/speed while they are at it.

They don't care about your SD card issues going forward. Go get a dongle or buy the (now cheaper) 2015 version.

Reactions: GalaDaliGirl

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
See, this is a complaint I'll never get on board with. Go buy previous version MacBook Pro. It's a fantastic machine (I own one, early 2015). All the ports you want, plenty of power and until this dropped, light and small for what you get. Plus retina.

Apple is introducing a brand new machine into the marketplace. They are trying to push for lighter and lighter and thinner and thinner. They are trying to innovate. This is apple not friggin' Dell Computers. Because that's what the public demands. And btw, more battery life and more power/speed while they are at it.

They don't care about your SD card issues going forward. Go get a dongle or buy the (now cheaper) 2015 version.
A lot of photographers, like myself, have been dealing with dongles for our CF cards anyway (my camera has a CF and SD slot and I typical write the RAW files to CF). Also, the SD card slot on my MBP is extremely fussy, so I use the card reader for my SD card, as well.

I do wish they had included one standard USB 3.0 port (or one free adapter for connecting our phones), but I bought the USB-C to USB adapter...also bought an adapter for my Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock. I am sure I will get a few more adapters(HDMI), in the short term, but the upside to Thunderbolt 3/USB-C over the next couple of years will be more apparent because of the major speed advantages.

Personally, I think this makes more sense for Apple, given their history, because these ports are clearly superior. Bluetooth audio quality on the other hand is inferior to wired, so I think the complaints about the missing headphone jack made more sense.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Lets say for arguments sake the whole industry does go USB-C for everything. I'd like to know how long that will take. 4 years maybe?

creamz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
Losing the glowy is fine I guess. What I really really hope is Apple would add the magsafe and card port in their next revision. It makes sense on not adding anything to the Macbook as it is purely a consuming device but definitely not on a MBP.

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
The transition to USB-C is going to take a long time. The USB-A plug as a charging standard has become ubiquitous at this point, you have usb ports in cars, hotels, libraries and everywhere basically. It's really just a change of cable, but it would have been nice to have a transition period while everything goes USB-C. You'll always have to be prepared when someone has a file on a thumb drive you need to use. Or want to charge your iPhone...

The quest for thinness supersedes versatility.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
How is this any different from the time when we had to carry around mini-display adaptors for our MacBook Airs? Or lightning to VGA adaptors for our iOS devices?

As with any shift, there are always two types of people. You can either choose to embrace the change, because sooner or later, everything will be USB-C anyways, or you can use whatever challenges you encounter to anchor criticism and use it as an excuse to not want to change.

It's time to choose a side and decide which you want to be.

No longer my multiple magsafe2 adapters will work. BTW, the magnetic connection have been one great feature, that I'm also very sad to lose if I upgrade. I even bought a magsafe to magsafe2 adapter, so I can travel with my daughter's charger, and use it in both MBPs. Well, that's not going to happen anymore.
Yeah, pretty much.

What should I do with my thunderbolt cables and dock? I'll have to buy a new one, don't I?
Pretty much. On the plus side, you now only have to plug in one cable when you previously had to connect 2.

I use the SD card reader every day, I'm a photographer. So, I'll now have to use an external USB reader, but wait, I can't use it directly, I'll have to use a USB-C to USB adapter, and then the reader. Very cumbersome compared to what I do now, that is simply insert the card in the slot. Boom. And for those using SD card memory upgrades, they are out of luck as well.
You can try the dock linked below.

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/computer/connectivity/hubs/type-c

What should I do with my thunderbolt to VGA, or DVI adapters? They won't work either. And I can't hook it directly to the company projectors, I'll have to run around with an adapter too, like all the Windows users do. They'll laugh at me very hard :(
If you are using an older MacBook, you would already be running around with an adaptor anyways, so no difference there.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Exactly my point. Is a PRO computer, made for people who know what we are doing. Let's have more connection options instead of less. I'd be happy with 2 USB-C connectors, 2 standard mini display-port/thunderbolt-2 & 2 USB 3.0. There is a lot of space on the sides of the computer. Why getting rid of all the legacy ports?
I can live without HDMI and SD Card slot, but please, let us plug standard USB devices.

BTW, I missed one connector that I still use every day, and that is my Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. I guess I'll have to get a USB-C to Ethernet adapter too.

So in the end, is not like is just the cost of the new computer, but a new dock and a bunch of adapters that need to be added to have the same functionality. And not replicating the ones I already have. I'll need adapter even for my iPhone. All that for a bit more speed and a fancy touchbar.

As many have mentioned, I think I'll pass this year, and see how the new line grows with next year's models.

Amazon has loads of USB C to gigabit Ethernet adaptors which also have 2 or more USB 3 ports on them too.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
They messed up the names. It's the new air lineup. If you think about it that way the logic makes sense. For now the pro is dead. Fingers crossed the future will bring it back, but I'm not holding my breath.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Apple really could have saved themselves a lot of criticism by including just one traditional USB port and a lightening port.

Their vision does make sense. But, the rest of the World isn't quite there yet and a stepping stone for another generation or two is better than a brutal push.

The lack of lightening is their biggest gaff after all the fuss they made over it with the iPhone audio. Now Apple are stuck making two variants of headphones unless they abandon audio accessories for one of their platforms and in that case, we know which one it will be.

Reactions: emailnotebox

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I am fine with progress, innovating, and a big step forward. I am fine with 40gbit speeds for stuff that can use it, and support for older stuff that does the best it can. It's all good.

If the price wasn't increased beyond smh
And then on top of that they don't include the most used adapers, instead, they take out the magsafe and extension cord.

It's apple tax on top of apple tax, and I know it's one of the reasons why people complain. It hurts a little.
It just doesn't add to the convenience - plus, wouldn't it be cooler to at least tell those windows fanboys that the premium mac at least comes with a few adapters so thunderbolt 2 investments and usb3 investments didn't go to waste?

But, it's a pretty thing, pretty color, pretty tech, nice and fast, but boy, , apple's double dipping on this one.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
So glad I won't miss those ports too much...

I have been waiting since June for this MacBook Pro and in the meantime I got the 12" MacBook. It really prepared me for what was about to come in terms of I/O.

I currently use the Apple Digital AV adapter with HDMI, but this doesn't support all resolution options on my 4K Dell P2715q which sucks. It does make things easier when connecting peripherals, just the adapter and my speakers (closed lid situation w/ BT keyboard and mouse).

Haven't ordered the new Pro yet because I need definitive benchmarks and feedback on which graphics card I need. I did however prepare to spend up to 3000 euros on this, but did not expect to get less value for it compared to last gen (at least, if feels like that).

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
A couple of things to remember.

Thunderbolt,
you can daisy chain multiple devices together.

Charging iPhone/iPad/ Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse,
Don't buy the usb-c to lightning adapter, just get a usb-c to usb adapter.
Not only is it cheaper, but you can temp connect a device to it, and then use it for say a usb3 external hard drive.

Some external thunderbolt monitors, like that 5k LG one, come with usb-c ports on the back, and it can charge your macbook i believe. So you can wallsocket>monitor>3x usb hard devices>connect to usb-c on macbook pro and you have 3 ports free, and already 4 devices connected + charging laptop.

Printer,
most printers support wifi these days.

NAS, backups,
some routers now have usb3 port on it for backups or printers, and with ac wifi it's not slow.
some routers dont' use all ethernet ports, if you have media to store, or backups, consider a nas over ethernet, great for mass storage in reliable raid setups with redundancy.

Reactions: ocgirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.