Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushfrog

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2006
gwilli said:
If you're a student and applying through ucas even if you're currently on a gap year in the UK you get a 14% discount as well as Apple Care for £50 (£48.99 pr soemthing stupid like that) Don't know if you get that from ordering over the phone. The guys in regent street told me about it. Any one else got something like this?

you are nearly right you can get a 14% NUS discount from

http://promo.euro.apple.com/shoppingguide/educ/uk_nus/

I did and they did not even ask for proof ,, which is lucky as due to high demand my NUS card has not arrived yet !

But this is a BIG discount

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Next update will be at MWSF 2007. But what Apple's doing is toying with the OCD diagnoses of its customers, like they did a few years back ... to keep the forums abuzz. Then, when October has come and gone, Phill Schiller will offer some pathetic announcement in early November about Apple's holiday buying season with "new iPod accessories" to boot ... then, he'll say this, and you heard it hear first:

"Our current mobile computing line -- the fastest, most efficient, fully-featured pack yet -- will complete our roster of offerings for the holiday season."

Apple's Web site will be updated with the regurgitated PowerBook icon and the tagline: "Gifts for under the tree."

In other words, read powerpage.org on the "Past the 2" blog now and weep. Nothing until next January.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
That discount is normal if you order thru the edu store of your school, and if your school has a special deal with Apple. My uni has a deal and we get higher discounts than the regular online edu store. We have our own special edu store in which you need a username and pw to access. Larger edu prices are nothing new.

nakedguy

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2006
Just to leave my two cents. I don't believe there is a product update. I do believe there's a stock outage. I waited 5 bussiness days for my MacBook and I got it last friday.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
djkny said:
Next update will be at MWSF 2007. But what Apple's doing is toying with the OCD diagnoses of its customers, like they did a few years back ... to keep the forums abuzz. Then, when October has come and gone, Phill Schiller will offer some pathetic announcement in early November about Apple's holiday buying season with "new iPod accessories" to boot ... then, he'll say this, and you heard it hear first:

"Our current mobile computing line -- the fastest, most efficient, fully-featured pack yet -- will complete our roster of offerings for the holiday season."

Apple's Web site will be updated with the regurgitated PowerBook icon and the tagline: "Gifts for under the tree."

In other words, read powerpage.org on the "Past the 2" blog now and weep. Nothing until next January.

o'grady followers are almost as bad as o'grady himself. i pity da fool. :rolleyes:

ckodonnell

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
While I hope you're wrong, part of me fears that you're right.

They're not getting my money until they have a competative offering, and it's not right now.

djkny said:
Next update will be at MWSF 2007.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
ckodonnell said:
While I hope you're wrong, part of me fears that you're right.

They're not getting my money until they have a competative offering, and it's not right now.

Yeah, my wife is in the same boat - she wants a new laptop and wants a MacBook, but doesn't want to buy "old" Core Duo technology when there are laptops on the market today with the new C2D technology. She's wondering why everyone else can release C2D laptops except for Apple. :rolleyes: :cool:

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
djkny said:

If this is true then Apple truly is pathetic. There is NO excuse to be almost 4 months behind the competition... which is where they will be by January.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
I don't understand it at all as you can just drop the processors in and it'll work in most cases. So all they have to do is just put in the new processor instead of the old processor. No large line changes or anything. I really put no stake in the powerpage article as I imagine they will update within the next week or four.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
joebells said:
I don't understand it at all as you can just drop the processors in and it'll work in most cases. So all they have to do is just put in the new processor instead of the old processor. No large line changes or anything. I really put no stake in the powerpage article as I imagine they will update within the next week or four.
the reason is that it will be very very sad if the ONLY change in processor, people aren't really anticipating the processor itself, but more like using this opportunity to *hope* apple to throw a lot more stuff

which doesn't make too much sense to me, because the only thing happening is the release of merom, which present apple no special occasion to upgrade the entire mbp line (by entire, i mean case, hdd accessibility, graphic card etc etc that ppl are asking for )

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
I could see them doing a case redesign or something else big to the mbp to coincide with the merom but I think it would be smarter on their part to wait for santa rosa platform next year for a redesign.

gwilli

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2006
London Town
technicolor said:
That discount is normal if you order thru the edu store of your school, and if your school has a special deal with Apple. My uni has a deal and we get higher discounts than the regular online edu store. We have our own special edu store in which you need a username and pw to access. Larger edu prices are nothing new.

Well if you're on a gap year you won't have access to an institution store. Quite alot of people going on a gap year loose out on student deals (well they think they do any way)

bearbo said:
the reason is that it will be very very sad if the ONLY change in processor, people aren't really anticipating the processor itself, but more like using this opportunity to *hope* apple to throw a lot more stuff

which doesn't make too much sense to me, because the only thing happening is the release of merom, which present apple no special occasion to upgrade the entire mbp line (by entire, i mean case, hdd accessibility, graphic card etc etc that ppl are asking for )

Totally agree. If they were just upgrading to C2D's they would have done it before the iMac's. Their either trying to fix annoying issues that won't go away or doing majour upgrades to the MB line. It would be nice if it had something like InstantON for Front Row.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
timmillwood said:
Apple would be mad not to upgrade before the holiday season

could you clarify what Apple is supposed to upgrade, exactly? (and "apple's supposed to upgrade mbp" is not particularly detail)

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
bearbo said:
could you clarify what Apple is supposed to upgrade, exactly? (and "apple's supposed to upgrade mbp" is not particularly detail)

every computer manufacturer including apple have realesed Core 2 Duo computers

The Macbook Pro is supposed to be a PRO computer with the best in processing technology so why no Core 2 Duo

in retail most sales are done in Q4 because of the holiday season so apple would be mad not to cash in on that which their newer computers.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Similar thing happened to me here in the UK, in the end, from the day of ordering, it was set to be just over 2 weeks until I would recieve my MacBook. I thought this was a fairly reasonable amount of time to expect though? I'm guessing they are mostly made to order if bought over the net/phone?

Not that it should take over 2weeks to build and deliver a laptop but just thought I would mention it.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
timmillwood said:
every computer manufacturer including apple have realesed Core 2 Duo computers

The Macbook Pro is supposed to be a PRO computer with the best in processing technology so why no Core 2 Duo

in retail most sales are done in Q4 because of the holiday season so apple would be mad not to cash in on that which their newer computers.
see.. if you dont plan to answer my question, which is the only thing i posted in that post, why do you quote it...

every other computer manufacture has c2d in their laptop has nothing to do with (well, fine, little to do) apple put c2d in their laptop.. sure now we're all intel so we can compare, but you have to know most ppl who use apple would not switch to other pc manufacture just because apple doesn't put c2d in mbp, they'd wait, because they like apple

and what does imac w/ c2d has anything to do with mbp has c2d? i don't see the connection

macbook pro is supposed to be a PRO computer, but Core 2 Duo isn't giving much advantage at this point, which means macbook pro is still the best

it would be dumb, in my opinion, for apple to update mbp to JUST have c2d upgrade, they didn't do that w/ imac, they probably won't do it w/ mbp... and if c2d is just one of the thing that gets updated at the next mbp update, it doesn't necessarily have to be right after c2d release

you have to know that general public, which MR doesn't quite represent, aren't dead set on c2d, if there's no c2d and they want a mac, they'd buy cd.. and ppl on MR, they'd buy c2d whenver it comes out, not necessarily restricted by the holiday season

(sorry, i used they, we, perhaps even you interchangibly...)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Oh god if they don't relase them till next year we will see Where is Merom threads till then? :eek: Just release them now to save the pain!

gwilli

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2006
London Town
bearbo said:
every other computer manufacture has c2d in their laptop has nothing to do with (well, fine, little to do) apple put c2d in their laptop.. sure now we're all intel so we can compare, but you have to know most ppl who use apple would not switch to other pc manufacture just because apple doesn't put c2d in mbp, they'd wait, because they like apple

you have to know that general public, which MR doesn't quite represent, aren't dead set on c2d, if there's no c2d and they want a mac, they'd buy cd.. and ppl on MR, they'd buy c2d whenver it comes out, not necessarily restricted by the holiday season

(sorry, i used they, we, perhaps even you interchangibly...)

Agreed C2D in it self will be a minor speed bump. If they wanted to upgrade the Mac Book line to C2D they would have done it by now.

Apple will unlickley be targeting existing Mac Book Pro users but more or less PowerBook G4 users who were weary of the Intel chips, or users switching from PC to Mac (PC users are really anal and careful when switching to another os or system, I should know I am one and work with loads of techies as a freelancer who would say the same thing).

I'm sure the average consumer is sensing a patern with most of the Mac line now upgraded to C2D. Even the stupidest of comsumers are realising that they should hold off a while because they know that the Mac Book's will be upgraded soon to follow suite. Which is why they will most probably be holding out until the holidays. £CHING£ £CHING£ £CHING£ it makes sense. Instead of hitting the January sales over here in the UK. After of which every one will be skint or in debt don't know what it's like in any other country.

bearbo said:
and what does imac w/ c2d has anything to do with mbp has c2d? i don't see the connection
iMac's were released when the Morem chips were in shortage. Which made no sense as alot of users were eager to get their hands on a C2D MBP.

Be prepared to be bitterly disapointed when C2D MBP's are released or utterly amazed, I don't really care. I'm happy with whatever they spit out. The longer they take to release it the more money goes into my MBP fund.

If you're dead set on getting a nice intel u'll wait. If u're impatient u'll buy now and kick u're self later simple as.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
bearbo said:

This a a poor argument, people who use Apple? Who are those? The 3 smug geeks you see sitting around trying to evangelise people to their beloved platform? They miss the holidays they will miss the switchers for sure. Like you said those who are already suckered have no choice, they will come back to you for their next dose. Growth is getting new customers hooked, that's where the real money's at.

Wait till MWSF? Oh right, just when people are paying off their credit card bills for that new... VAIO! That's clever marketing Apple!

bearbo said:

Sorry, if my experience with the "general public" is worth anything people care about cheap. They wouldn't "want a Mac" unless there is a tangible reason to. You can show them all the wizbangs with iLife, and they will ask, "Can I run my old applications on it?", and no, a reply like "MacOS has its own variant of software that does the same thing, except they are better!" doesn't cut it, they want the exact same thing they have been using to work, not something that is snazzed up to be "better!"

So Joe Public will take all the laptop brochures he rounded up that day, go home, pore over them.. and go "Hmm.. $1500 for this computer, Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz" and look over at the MBP "$2499 Core Duo 2.16Ghz".

The choice is already decided right there, between a "safe" choice with a faster processor and a lower price and a "unsafe" choice with a slower processor for almost twice the money, only an idiot would choose the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.