New McCarthyism?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I originally saw this at the Daily Kos so I looked up the Associated Press article. For those of us who remember the House Un-American Activities Committee, COINTELPRO and other programs targeting political opponents, this sounds remarkably similar. This is scary stuff.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the only way i can think to make that creepier is to, instead of Drake, force Kent State into turning over such records

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

While the governmental behavior is repulsive, its problem is that there is no groundswell of public support. Liberals and conservatives alike are voicing concerns about the abuses and misuses of such as the Patriot Act...

'Rat

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Really? While there's no groundswell of public support, I don't see an explosion of public outrage, either. People are more worried about Janet Jackson's boobs.

5. numediaman macrumors 6502a

So, how strongly do Americans feel about their freedoms? Here are some poll results:

"American Bar Association poll found that only 33% of Americans surveyed knew what the Bill of Rights was. A Gallup poll found that 70 percent of respondents did not know what the First Amendment was or what it dealt with."

Washington Post: only 53 percent strongly agree that "newspapers should be allowed to publish freely without government approval of a story," and only 57 percent agree that "newspapers should be allowed to criticize public officials."

also from the WP: "Two in three were willing to surrender some of the liberties we have in this country to crack down on terrorism."

These polls are rather old -- but disturbing, nonetheless.

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." – Benjamin Franklin

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as i've maintained, the american public are idiots.

do you have a link to that article?

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

pseudobrit, in McCarthy's time, people were more worried about Jane Russell's boobs. However, at that time there was also a lot of public support for anything "Agin Commy-nizzum". (Not to make light of the actual dangers from the USSR...)

Hey, for the last forty years, this country has been ever more concerned--nay, worried--about security. Doesn't matter if it's airbags/seatbelts, gun control, drugs, terrorism or environmental/occupational matters. It's not that there not be need for concern, but we've moved ever closer to damned-near panic. "It's for the children!"

I've previously mentioned the polls after the Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta: Over half the respondents said they'd trade "some freedoms" for security. That was in, what, 2000? Why, after 9/11 would the soccer moms, et al, be braver now?

Hell's bells, part of the impetus for all these computerized war toys is so even our military guys will be safer while killing the enemy.

The perceived need for security permeates our whole society. Else, why would so many people get their jollies from vicarious thrills, rather than going out and doing somewhat risky stuff on their own? Yet, there are those few people who are driven to push the edges of life. Nascar; X-Games...

And so it goes.

'Rat

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I play hockey. Without a visor or face shield. Does that count as risky? ;) (answer: only if you're a goalie ;) )

I don't understand the general fear of death that permeates our society either, which is the underlying impetus for the security craze people are going through. I have to attribute some of it to our media and public officials, who seem to focus on bad luck stories that seize on people's natural anxieties.

Dying ain't so bad. Once you come to that realisation, life becomes a lot easier. :)

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I realized around the time I turned 30 that I was actually going to die someday. (Hopefully later than sooner). Intially it freaked me out but I think I've come to terms with it. It does make life easier!

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

You get your old racecar turned around all backwards at around 150, and it's amazing how many hours you have for all manner of thoughts to go through your punkin head! :D (Trouble is, you still don't have time to do much about bein' backwards.)

Now that I'm pushing 70, and sorta figure I'm more than halfway Home, there's a lot of stuff that's not scary at all. Mostly, I just get outraged at the slings and arrows of outrageous idiots--most of whom clerk in stores or work in politics and government.

:D, 'Rat

11. wwworry macrumors regular

'Rat, I forgot to say I now agree with you about that portion of campaign finance law that deal with ads before elections. and your sentiments in this thread.