New media user

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cspears1028, Aug 19, 2004.

1. cspears1028 macrumors newbie

I have been using Windows computers since I was kid, but after much convincing from coworkers, I purchased my first MAC. Now I am having to re-teach myself many things. It has been an experience. The more I learn, the more I love my MAC. I know I made the right choice.

My #1 reason for purchaing a MAC is for the media features. I want to take my home movies and music to make a compilation. I have been working with the iMovie program, and I love it. I hooked up my Sony Handycam and was able to get the video frm my new movies. However, I have video from a long time ago, some on VHS and VHSC. Is there a specific cable I should purchase to hook a VCR up to my G4? Is that even possible?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

First, and I'm sure you'll get about 10 of these before I even submit my reply, don't ever refer to a Mac as a MAC. This is not an acronym. :)

That being said, congratulations on your Mac!

As for hooking up a VCR to your G4, you need specific hardware to convert the analog VCR signal to a digital signal your Mac can understand (unfortunately, I can't recommend specifics). Now, you may be able to get around this if you can record from your VCR to your Handycam and then from the Handycam from the Mac.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You'll need a special hardware box to convert the analog VHS signal from your VCRs RCA output to a digital signal that the computer can read. I haven't looked at these lately, so I don't know what's available/best. You are probably looking at a few hundred dollars for something like this though.

BTW, it's Mac, not MAC ;)

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I've heard (not positive though) that some digital cameras ahve analog RCA ports on them and so the camera itself can be used as a bridge between the computer and the analog signal. Don't quote me on that though.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, they can. It used to be only on high-end prosumer cameras, but now I think that a few camera as low as $600-$700 can do it. However, unless cspears wants a new camera, it's be best to just get the box methinks.