New member; question about G5 v. piii output

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by lssmit02, Mar 25, 2004.

1. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

I started folding for MacRumors a few weeks ago. I currently have access to 4 computers (2 of them duals, both running 2 consoles) so I've already managed to break into the top 400. Glad to be part of the team.

Quick question: One of the computers is a dual piii 800 mhz dell optiplex gx300, 384 megs of ram, running Win2k. The other is my G5. It appears from the logs, that the piii is able to complete a gromacs step in 20 minutes, whereas it takes the G5 roughly 30 minutes. This doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps I don't have the G5 configured optimally to fold. I installed the dual console files from the link in the sticky in this forum, and have not adjusted any of the settings (to be honest, I found it easier to configure the windows console, because I was able to draw on all of my experience in trying to game in DOS :rolleyes: ). Any advice?

2. familyte macrumors member

What projects are you comparing? Here is a link to the Stanford psummary page With this you can fairly compare the apple and orange issue. And there are other ways to insure that you using the Altvec instructions on your wonderful G5. Without those turned on, you sunk in the water with a Gromac work unit.

Fold on my folding friend, and welcome to the fold! :)

3. lssmit02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link - that helps explain the difference. Also, I checked the log file, and it says that altivec boast is enabled. It was just a little concerning to have an old PIII appear to fold faster than a new G5 - :mad: Now I feel much better. :)

Thanks

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I really don't know this, but is there also a script for dual pentiums? That you are running two WU at once? And how can you disable or enable altivec on folding?

5. familyte macrumors member

Its quiet easy, the main reason involves just shutting down the Box without shutting down the core. When Fah is started up after a improper shutdown, FAH will assume that it created a crash, and will not use the the extra altivec instructions. To shut down the FAH client one can do it through the terminal or the Process Viewer / Activity Monitor. And quit / Stop the process.

The use the flags to force the Altivec to be always be turned on.

Have Fun, and Fold :)

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome to the number one Mac Folding team. It's great to have you on board. Your awesome processor power will really assist us in our quest.

7. familyte macrumors member

Yes, I hope that your folding efforts are improving... If you need any more technical assistance with the fold (either with the Macs or the Win boxes) feel free to stop by for a friendly chat at premiere Mac team, Team Mac OS X, folding for the team, not required...

Fold on my friends. :)

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Thanks familtye for the explanation. Issmit, you can also post questions here, we don't know everything, but we still know a lot! :D

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Since you already answered his questions in your previous reply... why post again?

Also your signature has a link to the site, why post about it again... we at MacRumors can and will also answer any questions brought forth by members.

10. familyte macrumors member

Well, May I ask the same. I don't see a shred of help in your post.

When it comes to new folders the hats come off, I'd rather see them folding correctly than not at all. I came and was amazed, no one was helping this kind chap!

Why not try putting your energies to the positive, you may just like it!

11. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

First of all, guys stop the mud slinging!

Second, I do not agree with you familyte. We are all human, so we can't know everything, and don't have an answer for everything. Maybe another member of this forum does, but haven't answered yet. This question could easily been answered by us but you where the first to answer. So that you say that we didn't want to help this guy out.... Which planet do you live?!?!

Third, can a moderator shut this thread down. It is totally going about nothing. Better yet, don't put in anymore replies and let this thread die out on its own. Sorry Issmit02.

12. familyte macrumors member

Why the flames on such an issue. Never have I questioned you ability to help new folders. And yes I'm sorry that this is your point of view.

Fold on my Mac friends