New memory in iMac G5 not properly recognised (?)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by H&Kie, Dec 4, 2004.

1. H&Kie macrumors regular

Yesterday I put in a new stick of memory in my 17" iMac G5 and all seemed nice. The system profiler showed the memory properly and at least nanosaur 2 (well, I prefer this over solitaire and tetris) ran much smoother than it did before.
    BUT... when I run tests using Techtool (4.0.1), Techtool will tell me the freshly occupied memoryslot is empty (see screenshot - I hope it's clear enough; some text is in Dutch). Could this be a bad thing? Or is it just strange behaviour of Techtool?

The memorystick I put in is a 512 Mb, 400 MHz PC3200 DDR stick. I don't know the brand (I bought it in a local computer store that sells components from bulk) but it matches all the specs that Apple gives on their website.

Does anyone know if I should start to worry?

Attached Files:

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Try looking at the memory report from the OS X System Profiler. I think I'd trust the OS X native utility before a third party app. If OS X says it's there, then I'd say Tech Tools has a bug or hasn't been updated to understand the iMac G5.

3. H&Kie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks DaveL, I guess my Mac agrees fully with you. Anyway everything runs perfectly so far :)