New Memos Detail Early Plans for Invading Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jun 15, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As previously seen in the UK press. Don't know if there's any new information here, but this story, which appears for all the world to be the "smoking gun" in Bush's efforts to deceive the public on his intentions in Iraq, just barely made it onto the front page of the LA Times. At least they ran it, eh? What I think is most startling is the revelation that Bush wanted the weapons inspections to fail, so as to better justify the invasion he'd wanted from the start.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-britmemos15jun15,0,3650829.story

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The administration said 911 = Iraq, not Saudi Arabia, Saddam is in jail and Osama the Bin Laden roams free. Bush is, was and still is a liar, nothing more and much much less. America meanwhile is more interested in where Tom Cruise proposes to his 3rd wife! Come on America wipe the dribble off your mouth and wake up.What was it that Johnny Depp said? America is like a Big Dumb Puppy Dog. He had it right.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This story is from the LA Times, so you know it can't be true, but nevertheless it seems to me the political ground is beginning to shift, and the administration knows it. They're even starting the process of blaming the public, AKA, the Vietnam gambit.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-na-usiraq17jun17,0,3469156.story

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We had 1 vietnam we dont need another, remember that was the war George Bush and Dick Cheney managed to avoid. Bush & Cheney were going to use any excuse to get us in Iraq. WMDs,WMDs,WMDs and Iraq = 911. Then to think America was stupid enough to elect those same chickenhawks again after all the lies. Where is Osama? thats what i want to know because he and his Saudi Gang are the one's who attacked us, not Iraq. Oil & Oil. It disgusts me everyday i hear of another one of our kids getting killed for George's crap. These Chickenhawks want war it should required they send in their children first. No exception. That would be the true test if it was really needed. I think we all know we were lied to many many times by this administration & republicans.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The NYT has an article delving into the issue. Some of McClellan's dodges are pretty disgusting...

link'd

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

horribly unscientific, but this msnbc poll asks "Do you believe President Bush misled the nation in order to go to war with Iraq?", and (to date) 94% of 34266 respondents have answered yes.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

And yet over half of these folks elect him again because the Democrats have no one to run against him but a Senator with No record. I can count on one hand how many times America has elected one of these Deadbeat Senators.

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Any person running for president who has got an actual congressional voting record is at a distinct disadvantage. You seem to forget, Kerry was attacked by Bush for many of his votes in the Senate and Kerry helped Bush's cause by tripping over his own shoelaces in an effort to explain how he voted. I don't know what this last election proved that we didn't already know.

Anyhow, the Democrats are at long last making some noise. Not enough, but some. John Conyers is giving this the old full-court press.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The people that won Bush the election don't generally frequent sites like MSNBC. Though even the polls at FOX must be lower than they were.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I see that Pelosi and Reid have signed on to the effort to force Bush to answer the DSM. Took them long enough but I'm glad the Democratic leadership is getting behind this effort. The Dems should place this issue front and center for next year's campaign. "Do you want a Congress that covers up for a President who lies while Americans die?" should be, along with stopping Bush's reckless deficit and his attempt to privatize Social Security, the themes every Democrat runs on for election.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Also they shouldn't forget to remind everyone about Delay and of the overreaching for power involved in the Schaivo case.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The front line in the war on terrorism...

Link.

As we are faced with the results of another significant terrorist attack (by current western standards). We should keep in mind the actions taken so far that have been questionably justified by incidents such as these. The question that is becoming more and more apparent pertains to whether the current leaders of the UK and the US are using these attacks for their own advantage or not.

Terrorist attacks occur and the reaction is to go after nations that are not directly related but that are economically beneficial. Despite this anomaly, the war on terror is constantly promoted.

Are Blair and Bush the team that will really bring an end to terrorism? Or have they decided instead to use these events to justify economic gain through the colonization of resource rich countries?

If the war on terror is specifically aimed at the organizations that are perpetrating these crimes, why are they still happening. Even with the continued involvement in what was claimed to be terrorist supporting nations.

Add to that the evidence presented in these memos, and it seems like terrorism is a useful catalyst, despite the civilian cost in lives.

What is really going on?

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

One more question.

Why didn't the actions of the IRA receive as much attention as this one act of terrorism has.

The US media is treating this situation as if it were the first time the UK has been touched by acts of terror.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I suppose that'll be news to some of the public, but certainly not to anybody who's been paying attention. Heck, during Bush's lead-up to the war, I remember Saddam saying, "We no longer have any WMD," and the weapons inspectors saying, "As far as we can tell, they no longer have any WMD,"...and Bush constantly repeating to Congress and the American people, "See? Saddam refuses to give up his WMD!" (That was going on even before they started to offer up satellite photos as "proof" of chemical weapons plants and such.)

Well, Kerry got slammed for his "I was for the war before I was against it," comment...but then the GOP also slammed him for supposedly being a do-nothing senator, supposedly introducing or co-sponsoring relatively few bills, or worse, being absent much of the time.

So no matter whether Kerry had a strong legislative record or a weak one, they were determined to put him into a damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't situation.

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Thomas,

You're absolutely right about Bush and Co. wanting the inspections to fail.

In fact the inspectors were asking to stay and The White House had them pulled out.

Every single effort to stop this corrupt agenda from proceeding was discredited deliberately and that is now why so many are calling for impeachment.

As far as I'm concerned, these men are directly responsible for 1st degree
    murder and they all deserve to be removed from office and spend the rest of their lives in prison.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

America was manipulated by the President,the CIA , and the Wannabees in Congress who look at polls but dont look at things like the Patriot Act before signing. America was sold fear and we bought it hook line and sinker. 5 Years of George and where is Osama? The administration still to this day stumbles all over the facts and still talks as if Saddam did 911.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I wonder if it will backfire. Trying to drum up support for "the war on terror" may wind up with a lot of people asking if we are actually winning, or are we just making things worse. Not that you should "let the terrorists win", but what price "freedom".

Lot of quotes, because this has turned into a game of buzzwords, with innocent lives in the balance.

20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I don't think it is polling as well as they were hoping it was going to. Fox and CNN have spent virtually the entire day covering the Hurricane. I've seen reporters visiting wind tunnels to demonstrate what it is like to be in 100-mph winds and Reporters live in adverse weather to really drive home the point that Hurricanes mean bad weather. It's as though the Whitehouse weren't facing charges of risking national security for political gain or anything. The rest of the time, Fox is busy pressuring Aruba over Natalie Holloway who has been missing for over a month.

Unless people have moved away from the MSM en masse, I can hardly see how they would know anything about what is really going on in Washington right now.

The Hurricane is going to do what it is going to do, no matter the coverage it receives, there is little if nothing media coverage can do about that. However, if the media chose to focus on this Administration as much as they did on the previous one, we would see a lot of difference when it comes to what is being done in Washington right now. Fox being biased is old news, but what is Time Warner looking to get out of ignoring real news in lieu of reporting on weather that everyone knows is bad.

Being able to control the media is virtually a coup in a Democratic society that can make decisions based upon relevant information. Just think of the amount of time Clinton had to defend lies spread about a haircut he received on AF1. Unless this story starts receiving more coverage, I am not optimistic about justice being applied where it really ought to be applied at this point in time. It makes you wonder, cause this is the privatized media, and everyone knows which party supports (unregulated) privatization above all else.