New Method to Buid Genes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Nov 14, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A team of scientists announced yesterday it has found a fast and accurate way to build genes from scratch, a technique that could give scientists the practical tools to create life in a lab.

"This is a remarkable achievement," said Spencer Abraham, secretary of the Department of Energy, which sponsored the bulk of the research.

"With this advance, it is easier to imagine, in the not-too-distant future, a colony of specially designed microbes living within the emission-control system of a coal-fired plant, consuming its pollution and its carbon dioxide, or employing microbes to radically reduce water pollution or to reduce the toxic effects of radioactive waste," said Abraham.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/11/14/fast_method_to_build_genes_found/

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

This isn't really about cloning. It is to create organisms with the ability to cleanup toxic waste and pollution. There can be many positve advances for human kind.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Mmmm, I got it.

That should be better tha nanotechnology then.

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

The possibilities are endless. With this technology they can produce an organism from scratch for a specific task. Nanotechnology also has it's place, such as diagnostic for the human body and to build other microscopic machines.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

uh oh.

i say that for two reasons. first, the ability to create organisms seems nice at first, but i don't want any "lickers" from resident evil running around. you get the idea.

secondly, even the smaller organisms, such as the oil-absorbing ones discussed in the past, could have devistating effects on the environment... the introduction of even a new bacteria into an ecosystem can and has shown itself to be very dangerous, let alone a bacterium not created by nature, rather by science, that has never been on the face of the earth. first a bacterium devours oil spills, then some x factor causes a mutation, and suddenly the thing devours fish flesh or something. not good.

i wish they'd stop screwing with these things. genetic engineering for disease prevention is about the only time i can see the ends justifying the means. but this is too widespread and potentially impactful for us to rush into.

pnw

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

i'd contend that the two address two relatively different areas of interest.

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that they need to be cautious with this new technology. They seem to be taking every precaution. I see so much good coming from this, that I want it to continue.

9. judith macrumors regular

judith

I've got to agree! This is scary. It's like the fuel additives (MTBE) they discover (much too late) after mandating statewide (CA) are great for reducing emissions, and also an extremely effective ground water polluter.
    oops!
    It would be nice if these things could be tested a bit more rigorously before setting them out on their merry little way - Have they also created the bug that will eat these, should they flourish beyond our wildest expectations?

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the power of God in a test tube....scary implications here.

I just hope that this is a power used for good and never gets into the wrong hands.

Just the thought of having 'lego' for lifeforms gives me the creeps. Once enough research is done and we know what different combinations do and can produce, we'll be able to make organisms that create any number of wondrous things, carbon filament chains, wonder drugs - I just don't want to ever see someone make an über-plague.....

D