New Microsoft desktop images for Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by shakespeare, Apr 7, 2003.

1. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    Has anyone noticed that, on Microsoft's Mactopia, they're now offering a few desktop images to go with MSN for Mac OS X?

The thing is, I think they're beautiful, and it's hard to believe Microsoft made them.

It's scary - they're being nice to us -
  2. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Well, they might have outsourced their creation to a Mac shop. For instance, all of the WinXP icons were created by the Icon Factory ( which is very Mac-centric.

3. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    the options are not all size relevant so it must be market research.
    Microsoft doing some research that is scary.:confused:
  4. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    That is strange. With Apple pushing all these products that compete directly with MS's softwares, one would think MS is not too pleased with Apple. Instead they start posting downloadable Desktop Pictures, and they didn't even call it "Wallpaper."

Hmmmmmm. What are they upto?
  5. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    I know it. And look at this, they even compliment the look of OS X:

That is a quote from Microsoft. I don't trust them. Something shady is going on here.
  6. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Did you see the banner ad at the top of the page? "No banner ad here for a week, thanks to MSN for the Mac"!!!

Does that sound suspicious to anyone else??!! Besides being a blatant ad (while claiming to not be an ad).

Microsoft is getting scared I think. Or they're up to something. I think maybe they realize that Macs are going to outsell them after Palladium takes off, and they're trying to make sure they keep the Mac community happy. Ooops, wait a minute, this is Microsoft we're talking about; nevermind what I just said, they're just looking for another way to steal something from Apple probably.

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    It says right on the page that the images are by Noel Rubin, whoever he is, not Microsoft (unless he works for them). It's not strange at all that the Microsoft MBU would do this, although it is kind of bizarre that one portion of Microsoft (the Windows portion) wants the Mac dead and the other (the MBU) wants it to thrive. In the end, it doesn't really matter, because Microsoft as a whole wins either way.
  8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    they want people to be visiting their site on a regular basis. they want to get on our good sides. they want to sell us MSN Mac.