Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigben334

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has one of those new pre-n mimo routers. i am looking at the belkin pre-n and the netgear rangemax ones. i am debating on which one to get. i am leaning towards the netgear one because it is cheaper and i had a bad previous experience with a wired belkin router. anyone use one of these wireless routers with their macs??? thanks for the help

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
ChrisFromCanada said:
I don't think anyone has any idea what pre-n means, but if you are looking for a cheap but good router go for the Linksys WRT54G.

Pre-N means a wireless implementation based upon the 802.11N specification before the final ratification.

I am actualy kind of surprised that Apple hasn't made any movement on this in the Airport Base Station. As I seem to recall they released an update after the final ratification of 802.11G. In other words Apple had a "pre-G" product.

To answer the question of the OP... no I have not heard of anyone using one of the models you mentioned. I have always been fond of Netgear hardware though.

bigben334

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
cmon.....

there has to be somebody in this forum that uses one of these 2 new wireless routers, there just has to be........please some response, anything would help, thanks in advance.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
bigben334 said:
there has to be somebody in this forum that uses one of these 2 new wireless routers, there just has to be........please some response, anything would help, thanks in advance.
I'm buying a bunch of Belkin Pre-n stuff for work. I'll be installing it in two or three weeks.

Can you wait? :D

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
joeconvert said:
Pre-N means a wireless implementation based upon the 802.11N specification before the final ratification.

I am actualy kind of surprised that Apple hasn't made any movement on this in the Airport Base Station. As I seem to recall they released an update after the final ratification of 802.11G. In other words Apple had a "pre-G" product.

To answer the question of the OP... no I have not heard of anyone using one of the models you mentioned. I have always been fond of Netgear hardware though.
That's because unlike the Pre-G timeframe, this time there is no N standard, pre-approval or not, to build to.

All of today's "Pre-N" routers will not be compatible or upgradeable with whatever N standard is released -- sometime likely in 2006 -- for one reason, the eventual N standard may combine elements of more than one of the proposals on the table. You can buy pre-n equipment now for the extra speed but you are fixing to tie yourself to a proprietary format of one brand.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1668079,00.asp

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
3Com wireless

CanadaRAM said:
You can buy pre-n equipment now for the extra speed but you are fixing to tie yourself to a proprietary format of one brand.

Hey,

I work for 3Com, and we've been shipping Pre-N for a while now. I work on the reliability side of things - and I'm promised that whenever the 802.11n standard comes through, the engineers here will work to write new firmware to make current hardware as compatible as possible. The extra bandwidth is quite handy, I use 108Mbps at 'a' frequencies - not sure if you can do that with other 108Mbps systems. :)

FireArse

homerjatmoes

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2005
Regardless if current Pre-N hardware works with the future specifications, currently it offers security through obscurity when on a Pre-N only system.

I have the Belkin Pre-N and I was able to replace all my access ppoints with this one router and get great connectivity even though I am currently running all G clients.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.