iPad mini New mini came with sticker on back?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stinger123, Nov 19, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Hello all.

I just got my iPad Mini, and I love it! Own retina products, but this is amazing. GET IT - trust me.

One weird thing though. The iPad was brand spanking new, box factory sealed, iPad wraped and untouched etc.
    But on the back of the iPad (under the plastic wrapper) just above the apple logo was a blue'ish sticker about 2" x ,5" saying
    " M 6 B N" (might have had a character more)

After peeling it off it left some sticky residue that had to be cleaned with alkohol.

I've never seen this before on Apple products. Im thinking this might be the first or last unit from a certain batch, or a quality control sample or something.

The iPad is flawless. Was charged to 90% and keeps battery forever!

What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like you got a demo or sample.

3. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Or possibly one that was sporadically pulled out of the factory line and tested / passed / approved and then repackaged.

4. macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Odd. If it works, keep it!

5. macrumors 6502a

talk to the genius, maybe they know.

6. macrumors G5

Macman45

At a guess, I'd say it was an end of production run QC sticker...As you say the device is perfect, so you don't need to worry about it.

7. Stinger123, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

thread starter macrumors member

Well, Im not really thinking about returning it. It works great and was as mentioned brand new and everything was factory sealed. So the sticker must have come on in China.

Just curious. Bought it from a large department store and got the very last black 16gb from the warehouse.

Im very pleased it's just a fun fact. Still thinking this might have been a quality controll sample. Perhaps they pull every 100 or 1000 iPad from the line and check the quality before a new batch ship out.

Just called Apple and they looked it up and confirmed that it was only was registred to my name. Their guess was that it was a QC model. So I guess my model has been under the loupe and is flawless.

8. macrumors G5

Macman45

They do exactly that...They have a section at the end of each line where units that have been subjected to thorough QC checks wind up...Probably ensured you got a top notch device.

9. macrumors 65816

I would have thought that removing the sticker would have been part of the quality check. Guess you have an iPad that passed QC but would have failed the QC of the QC. Good to hear your iPad is otherwise perfect.

10. macrumors regular

In most factories, every item shipped should have to pass a FINAL inspection prior to being boxed up. It's surprising, but I've worked in final QC before, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to miss something when you stare at the same object for 10-12 hours a day.

11. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

The sticker means you won the last golden invitation to Apple Headquarters in Palo Alto! You must email Tim Cook with the sticker code asap! You get to sit on his lap...:rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502a

Willy Wonka, eat your heart out!!

13. macrumors 6502a

That would be a true golden ticket seeing as how Apple's Headquarters is in Cupertino!

14. macrumors 601

That sticker is from a Chinese factory worker trying to make contact with you , he wants to come to America

15. macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

that would be sooo cool. they should actually do that. would really boost sales even more hahah

16. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

Good point! How could I forget this?!

17. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

in honesty... i would be ecstatic if i had that sticker. i mean who has that QC (if it is quality control sticker) on their ipads? only a few people will so consider urself lucky.

18. macrumors demi-god

coldsweat

Here you go! Apple Golden iMac ticket