New mobility 9700 for Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by psycho bob, Feb 4, 2004.

1. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

January saw the launch of ATI's new mobile chip the 9700 (not based on the desktop chip of the same name). Early PC tests suggest this is on a par with desktop chips, is comfortably beats both desktop (128mb) and mobile (64mb) 9600 cards.
    It has excellent battery saving features, the best on a graphics card to date. Surely in the short term this must be the Powerbooks next upgrade step.

2. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

They better include the best ATI mobile chipset out at the time, or it will be very disappointing again for Apple. My company bought me a PC Laptop (which is a huge piece of crap compared to my PowerBook of course) about 2 months before they speed-bumped the PowerBooks, and it had a better graphics card in it. (M10 Pro which is the 9600 PRO 128MB instead of the 64MB non-pro card in all the Powerbooks.)

ESPECIALLY with so many people hyped for Worlds of Warcraft... more GPU power is needed!

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Hope that they don't do the same thing they did with the first PB 17"inchers and drop the GPU to a lower level. Radeon 9000 to GeForce Mx440 was a BAD idea.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah the only qualm i had about getting rev a was the video card but it does its job

5. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

that'll be nice but hope your not counting on it.