New models of Zune - iPod killers for sure

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Toe, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Toe
    macrumors 65816

Toe

I was just reading this story on the new Zunes, and the call-out quote just sums it up so perfectly:

'We're trying to make this thing more alive.'
    — Adam Sohn, Microsoft

And why is it that every time Apple is about to come out with new iPods, Microsoft updates the Zune to be more like the current generation? Are they really that blind? Maybe the Zune is just a deliberate write-off for them or something...

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Software for OS X please...

Not that I can't do it on my Windows tower but really.

Come on, come on!

3. Guest

????

And we care about Zunes, why?

-superhamster

4. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Because competition is good. (Allegedly)

5. Toe
    thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

'cause before you know it, Microsoft is going to make it "more alive." :rolleyes:

It's already obviously better because all three people who have them can share music with each other from Zune to Zune. And now they have models at 120 GB and they are even coming out with an App Sto-- I mean "Marketplace."

6. Guest

calculus

I entered a competition once, I didn't win...

7. Guest

Creepy

I personally find that creepy. What if someone hacks into your Zune and steals your music or plants a bug. While, you may think I'm crazy because I am an iPod Touch user which could have the same issue, we both know Apple is WAY MORE SECURE than Microsoft is or EVER WILL BE!

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This isn't one of those things where they introduce a whole new line of music players, with a really trendy name, start doing market testing, and then jump out from the bushes and yell, "Fooled you!!! That's a Zune in your hands!!!" is it?

Cuz, you know, that would be very 1980's Folgers.... :eek:

9. Guest

Great!

Hey, Thanks A lot. Now I have that stupid Folgers Coffee jingle stuck in my head!

:p:p:p:p:p

-superhamster

10. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Well, that sounds enthusiastic. That's more what I would expect a vet to say about a dead cat.

11. macrumors 6502

As with any product, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. However these new Zunes have a few new features that I bet any iPod owner would like to have.

• wireless syncing
    • personalized radio stations
    • media sharing
    • music downloads

iPod touch and iPhone users have the iTunes store, but don't other iPod users want this feature? How about a personalized radio station that plays music based on what you like? Quite comparable to last.fm and Pandora. To end it all, wireless syncing can make quick updates so much easier.

12. macrumors 604

zap2

Some features which some might want...personally, I'm not really feeling them. Cool, but nothing huge. Also lets see what Apple comes out with tomorrow for a better comparing of the two brands.

Glad MS is trying!

13. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I want the FM tuner to listen to NPR live.

*hangs head in shame*

14. Toe
    thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

On that point, I will have to say... the shame should not be yours, but rather Apple's. How difficult is it to put an FM crystal in an iPod?

FWIW, you can get a tiny, portable FM radio for like $5. While that's a nice workaround to the iPod not having one, it just points out how stupid (or is it just greedy?) Apple is being by not including it.

15. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But entering a 3 legged horse into this horse race could be considered a little pathetic.

Unless the race if for the most expensive horse meat at the Mexican slaughterhouse next week.

16. macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

you know i enjoy zunes they have big screens and big harddrives. and prices that are a much less than ipod videos.

problem is that they have no OS X Software!! :(
    at least give us that microsoft!!!

17. macrumors 68000

Yeah, it all sounds cool and fun sharing musics and everything until someone decided to use that media to transfer viruses. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 6502

I'd like wireless syncing, but music downloads are what the iTunes Store is for... isn't it?

19. macrumors 603

Maybe they could call the device an "iPod Mojave" in tests. Then yell "just kidding! It's a Microsoft Zune!" Epic fail.

20. macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

lmao thatd be interesting, a good idea, microsoft should watch out for that.
    acutally there are ways to embed viruses in mp3's so i dont know now...

21. macrumors 6502

Tell me this: Do Zunes work with iTunes? Can you just drag and drop everything over from iTunes onto a Zune and it's all automatically organised like it is on the iPod? Is the Zune Mac compatible? Does it work with iTunes Store purchased items?

Nope.... AFAIK it's tied to Windows and Windows Media Player.

Plus, Microsoft haven't even released the Zune in New Zealand, so there's no iPod killing going on here :p. A 16GB Nano is next on my shopping list, unless they somehow make the iPod Classic more tempting (the capacity is nice, but the price isn't, and it's bigger, heavier, slower, and more fragile).

The iPod lives, and the Zune either dies or survives in it's little minority niche. The iPod is too big to kill.

22. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

A "more alive" Zune? What's that mean: in addition to squirt, it will also squirm?

23. macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I think Microsoft likes to have one day where they can be happy before their new music player is used as toilet paper in Redmond.

24. macrumors 68020

Beric

That's my position exactly.

25. macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Simple, Apple knows FM radio is lame & a dying platform

FM radio=floppy discs

Why bother. People get iPods BECAUSE they're sick of FM radio.
    Radio plays the same 5 songs over & over, loaded w/ commercials & useless DJ babble. Its over for radio.