New monitor buying advice needed!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tonyeck, Sep 3, 2004.

1. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Hey!

I am a UK student currently travelling in the US at the moment (just in maimi florida and got evacuated yesterday :( ) I study interactive multimedia at university (Graphic Design, Web stuff, anmiation 3D modelling etc etc). I have been a mac user for a while now and currently own an oldish iBook and a brand new 12"PBook. I have just ordered a dual 2Ghz G5 which is going to be delivered when I arrive back in the UK.

All i need to decide now is the monitor! At the moment I have the idea of:
    23 inch
    or
    two 20's and dual screening them

I love the idea of dual screening especially when doing design work, i.e having one screen dedicated to drawing in illustrator and one with the photo open, however I love the size of the 23 and that would be cheaper!

another reason swaying me towards two 20's is I still have to use a PC to run 3Ds max which is PC only....

The only thing i can think of is buy a 23 now and save up and buy a 20 as well in the new year.... what do you guys think?

I saved up all of last year to do this and want to make the right decision!

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Dual 20s. It will be better in the long run, resolution isn't that much less. You have a good problem in the opinion of many in this forum.

3. kant macrumors 6502

used 17" monitors are cheap in the US. If they're the same low price in the UK, then get the 23" and match it up with a used 17". Same amount of screen real estate as the 20/20 but with the pleasure of the 23".

4. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Don't forget that if you want dual lcd monitors your probably going to need an adc-dvi adapter. If thats the case, add in about $100 to the cost. I just ran into this problem when I looked into getting a second acd. Course, you can go with an older acd or something from Formac with adc...but it won't have the same performance...and they won't match.

5. tonyeck thread starter macrumors 6502

tonyeck

I found that if I bought the second monitor with my G5 (as Its not being delivered until end of month) it comes with the adapter at no extra cost....

it says "includes belkin ACD adapter" and the price does not increase for the second monitor but it seems only on the UK student site. the US normal store adds 39 bucks

6. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Really? Are you sure its not a adc-vga adapter they are including? If its adc-dvi, that sounds like a good deal...at least on the adapter.

7. tonyeck thread starter macrumors 6502

tonyeck

haha turns out I am wrong, I have to pay £20, ($35) whoops :(

Its the Belkin ADC - DVI adapter

sorry my bad