new monitor should live up to potential...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whyrichard, Oct 16, 2004.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

hello guys!

a couple of days ago i posted about this monitor:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-008-011&depa=1

and it's nice and pretty on my desk.

but it's not up to full resolution...:

i'm running an ibook g4, with the anologue input to the monitor. can i have this monitor run at full 1280 x 1024 resolution?

ibook displays only goes up to x 768...

also, i want to run in clamshell mode...

can this be done with this hack?:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

thanks,

r.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yeah, you'll want to use that hack.
    LCDs only look great at their native resolution, so you're not exactly getting what you pay for at this point. (and just once, i'd like to pull a duffman...)
    OH yeah!

Lee Tom

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, the iBook can normally only mirror your iBooks monitor, which means that it can't go beyond your iBook's resolution. Use the hack to be able to use it under higher resolutions.

I'm not sure if you can just remove it after you install it, though. I'd check to see if you could or not. AppleCare may frown upon the hack if you ever need to get the iBook fixed. Of course, there are people who will tell you that they've sent their hacked iBook into Apple with no fuss, but if Apple were to say something such as your warranty is void, you can't really blame them.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

There is a restore button on the hack im pretty sure. also I have heard clamshell mode is bad for the computer and specifically the LCD.