New Monitor - Sony HS75P or LG L1720P?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danny_w, Jun 28, 2005.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I have been dealing with the dim vga video of a Mac mini since February, and have finally had enough of it. I am getting ready to buy a new monitor, and have narrowed the search to the Sony HS75P/S (beautiful but expensive and a lot of glare) and the LG L1720P ($100 less money but looks cheaper too). Does anybody have any experiences with either of these two flat screens? I actually have both of them at home right now, and still can't decide. The Sony just LOOKS cooler, with its sleek frame and nifty stand, and the picture is absolutely gorgeous. The LG panel also looks good after calibrating, but somehow looks more muted and "flatter", and the case looks and feels cheap by comparison. I am leaning toward the Sony, but would like some input from people who have actually used the displays.

2. kant macrumors 6502

You going to be spending more time looking at the screen or the bezel?

Seriously, if you have the opportunity to test drive them both at home you are way ahead of most people.

3. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

exactly

You have both of them in front of you and by what you have said, looks like you will probably go with the sony. I would probably chose the sony just by name though. sony does make very good lcds

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks all, I think I will stick with the Sony. It just looks better and clearer to me, and this is something that I will be looking at for a long time, so clarity is definitely an issue. Thanks again.

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I have the LG1720Q which has a 8ms response rate and 500:1 contrast ratio. I love it. It's the nicest monitor I've owned. Not sure how it differs from the 'P' version.