New Motherboard Details?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

MacBidouille details some features they claim to be on the upcoming motherboads. These include 2 FW800 ports, 1 FW400 port, 3 USB, 3 Audio Connectors, as well as 5 additional unidentified connectors (in a group of 3 and 2).

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 6502

I'm intrigued by the unidentified connectors. Otherwise it's not very interesting.

4. macrumors member

Well i thought it was interesting, since if it is true it rules out Powerbooks as i think it unlikely theyd have those many connectors.

5. macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I think its interesting, I want to see a picture though

6. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

At last it looks like Macs will have 5.1 sound. I was going to get a 12in powerbook, but I will now wait to see what Apple releases in June. I wanted to get a mac desktop, but one of the major problems with them is the lack of 5.1 sound.

7. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Someone should pretend to sell one of these MBs on ebay and see if apple stops them, then we will know if the rumor is true or not.

8. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm suprised

Apple just doesn't create a small BOB with Audio connectivty. 3 ports just for Audio sound like it takes up alot of space.

9. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    interesting...

just went to Apple SoHo and chatting with one of the "geniuses" there, about WWDC etc, and he was looking forward to panther, so i said, "that's 64bit right?" and a big grin appeared on his face "Haha, I can't comment on that". he knows something. the vibe i got was that there is possibly more than just a new os update.

my point is, this sounds like it's a pretty damn positive sign from MacBidouille.

10. macrumors regular

11. macrumors member

could those 3 + 2 = component video
    and audio?? that would be the joint!

12. macrumors regular

More often than not, that's a grin of "Yes, I read the rumor sites too, and that's all the 'inside info' we get." on Apple Retail faces.

13. macrumors 65816

Frobozz

Re: New Motherboard Details?

Sounds like he has seen a prototype board, which in no way means the final board will have the same number or configuration of ports. For example, why have 2 firewire 800 and 1 firewire 400 ports? Why not nuke the FW400? Isn't FW800 backwards compatible? Also, 3 audio connectors seems odd. Wouldn't it be more likely to be a video, left audio, right audio.

I have no doubt Macbidouille's source has seen a prototype mac, but I don't think we should expect all of these features to end up in the final ones to be (hopefully) ship near or at WWDC.

14. macrumors regular

No offense, but I HIGHLY doubt somebody working retail knows jack-poop about Panther. I have friends who are ASE's and they will know as much as we will.

15. macrumors 6502a

drastik

This is probably way, way out of reality, but imagine a mac that is actually designed to be part of your home entertainement system. If there were a kind of wireless display connection, you could have your monitor in any room as long as you had a power outlet (a monitor would kill batteries like flies).

So, the mac sits next to the rest of the sterreo, digital audio out, component video out, remote control of somesort... the true digital hub.

16. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

What's the deal with MacBidouille?

While this is somewhat interesting (Ooooohh... Mystery Ports), what I want to know is what the deal is with the folks at MacBidouille?

Just about every single Powermac 970 story broken in the last month has come straight from MacBidouille. I want to know where they're getting this seemingly fantastic amount information.

I would guess that either they've got one hell of a source in Apple (or many sources at various manufacturing stages), or they're just making it all up (al la MOSR).

It'll be interesting to see how accurate MacBidouille winds up being. :cool:

17. macrumors 6502

It's pretty dumb that apple computers havnt had at least 5.1 sound so far. I hope it has a digital out too.

18. macrumors 65816

Frobozz

Well, yes, but I think "big news" may be Quark 6, for example. But Quark's big coming out part will be July's Create expo. I think that, if the Genius is smart (is this self evident?) that he will say "no comment" because it's the only thing he can consistently say without implying anything. It's a standard response. He'd lose his job if that answer was anything else. Or worse, could get sued. On the other hand, he probably doesn't know anything because the stores probably don't know what, if anything, they are receiving.

I work in an industry where I often have to respond with "no comment" to questions about impending tech. This is weather or not I know anything about it. If I say "no", that's confirmation just as much as "yes."

19. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It would be nice to see USB 2 on the USB ports. If Apple stayed with USB 1.1 they'd be hurting themselves.

Sounds good otherwise....can't wait to see the new machines :D

D

20. macrumors 6502

Re: What's the deal with MacBidouille?

They're doing a heck of a job lying... though i'd be surprised if the really have this many good sources, like you said.

21. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

5.1 Audio can be easily split amongst 3 stereo mini jacks. 3 ports pretty much guarantees 5.1 Audio.

Probably not going to happen. What Digital Out would you use? SPDIF is stereo only. There is no industry standard multichannel Digital I/O.

22. macrumors 65816

Frobozz

You'd only be solving half your problem by getting hardware that support 5.1 surround. The other half is software. Aside from perhaps high end audio apps and a handful of games, nothing else supports it.

23. macrumors 65816

Foxer

Re: Re: New Motherboard Details?

The ports are different, I know that from my DP 1.4

24. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

If MacBidouille is actually posting real info here, all they'd need is one really good source in just the right place. But yes, I agree that it seems they're either making some things up or just jumping to quite a few conclusions.

25. macrumors member

Three audio connectors isn't really anything new. Even the current generation iMac's have three audio connectors: line in, headphones (out), and the jack for the Apple Pro speakers.

Now, if these three audio connectors on the rumored motherboard are of a different style, then that's news.