Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: stowaway mice the least of the issues

Originally posted by Rower_CPU

I agree that wireless mice don't belong in a lab setting just yet, but don't go shooting your mouth off about what happens in lab settings unless you know what you're talking about.

This is silly, there's a very simple solution that will end up being implemented as soon as people start using wireless mice.

You walk into the lab, hand the lab monitor your id, he gives you a mouse, you get to work on a machine. Simple, easy and no mice get stolen.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Re: stowaway mice the least of the issues

Originally posted by dukestreet
This is silly, there's a very simple solution that will end up being implemented as soon as people start using wireless mice.

You walk into the lab, hand the lab monitor your id, he gives you a mouse, you get to work on a machine. Simple, easy and no mice get stolen.

That's a good idea, but it would require one of two things:

1) If wireless mice only work with their specific receiver, you need to id each mouse for each station. If they get mixed up you would need to go back and find out which machine the mouse belongs to.

or, 2) If wireless mice work with any station, then you have to watch out for interference/crossover between machines. In a room with 30 stations, that could get hairy.

To be honest, I don't know enough about this technology to tell you definitively what its limits are. But as a lab administrator, I know it would require some new methods of theft prevention.

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
Rower - I'm not saying theft isn't a problem, it's just that it's not an issue that significantly distinguishes wireless mice from wired mice. Interference and swapping are issues that come up with wireless mice, but not with wired mice. Hence, those are the things worth talking about when weighing the pros and cons of wired vs. wireless mice. That is all.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: Re: Re: stowaway mice the least of the issues

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
If wireless mice only work with their specific receiver, you need to id each mouse for each station. If they get mixed up you would need to go back and find out which machine the mouse belongs to.

This would just be a minor logistical issue. Computer #1 would have a big #1 on it, and the mouse that went with that computer would have a #1 right on the top, no problem figuring that out. All the lab would need is a nice storage system, simple again, and it would be like getting size 12 shoes at the bowling alley.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: stowaway mice the least of the issues

Originally posted by dukestreet
This would just be a minor logistical issue. Computer #1 would have a big #1 on it, and the mouse that went with that computer would have a #1 right on the top, no problem figuring that out. All the lab would need is a nice storage system, simple again, and it would be like getting size 12 shoes at the bowling alley.

And then a smartass kid whips out a marker and adds a 2 and now you've got 2 12s and you need to see which is which.

The administration at my school is very anti-policing, so our hands are tied when it comes to taking some proactive steps. But duke, your suggestions are definitely good ones.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
ahh, stop bitchin about wireless mice in classrooms. You know that they're going to stick with wired...

A 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel that uses bluetooth would be great with pro machines, and here's why...

1. If you use a 1 button mouse, and are happy with it, try out 2 buttons, or just stick with your current mouse. I'm almost sure that you'll like the 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel...

2. If you bought a Mac, but use a different mouse, because you didn't like the 1 button, good for you! Now, you can use an Apple mouse when you buy a new Mac. Just because Apple introduces something new doesn't mean that you have to rush out and buy it.

3. Laptop users, Have you ever wanted to play a game, or do something where a track-pad just doesn't cut it, or when you want a scroll wheel? If you've tried a regular USB mouse, you'll know that that wire can get annoying, especially if you're right-handed and have an iBook (like me), because you have that wire going across the computer. The bluetooth option (whether built in, or external, although built in would be better), would allow for laptop users to easialy carry around a mouse to use instead of the trackpad.

Now, I know that people have their own reasons for loving/hating a 2 button, wireless mouse. That's nice. You can either get a new mouse, get a new Mac with a new mouse, or stick with your current mouse if you like it. I'm just saying that I believe that many people would benefit from a 2 button wireless mouse. No more restrictive cable (although there's bluetooth's range...), and no more having to use the keyboard to do simple tasks, like make a new folder, or get info...

I do agree, though, that Apple should keep the new mouse to the PowerMacs, but make it a bto option on iMacs, iBooks, and PowerBooks. I don't think that schools will want wireless, so the eMac stays with wired... They should also make the 1 button wired mouse a bto option on the PowerMacs, just for the stubborn people.

How the mouse would charge, I'm not sure, but I expect for it to be something like a cell phone. A little cradle (notice, little, it doesn't have to hold the whole mouse) that serves as the bluetooth controler, and the charger, that plugs into either firewire, or USB (if USB has enough power. If not, then definately FireWire...)

Anyways, that's what I think...

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
One Button Mice

If Apple makes two-button mice, isn't it breaking with it's first slogan, (referring to the GUI) "It's so easy you only need one button." I don't care about two button mice, and will stay away from them as long as possible. I don't think Apple will go with Bluetooth yet - still many things to be worked out. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but maybe I'm right.

-- My 2 cents! :( :) :|

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Isn't the range on bluetooth like 30 ft or something like that? If there are id problems. Then in a lab setting that would be a major problem. Then again it would also have advantages

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.