New music/book/movie trading site

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Feb 4, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

It's called Swappingtons and it works like this; you sign up, put stuff you dont want anymore up for trade and list a "point" price, someone who wants it gives you the points which you can then use for anything else on the site (or something like that...) and its all free. it seemed pretty cool even though its brand new.
    If you sign up then please put my member name down as a referral because if you refer someone you get free points, the name is rlarue
    I dont have anything up yet, but hopefully this site will do well.

2. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Cool idea, I signed up, gave your name. hopefully it will do slightly well, although how will they make enought cash on just adverts? Pop-up's, banners and major Spam?

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I just signed up too and put your name. Thanks!

4. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

The guy seems to have run several other sites since 1999 like DiaryLand.com, Pitas.com and NotifyList.com without using pop-ups, selling emails or things like that, and he says it's mainly out of his own interest to run the site and self-promotion.
    Hey thanks for putting my name down guys, I have a feeling this will get big in the "independent" scene.

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I haven't signed up, but it seems like a pretty cool site.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

How do you get points to begin with? just by selling stuff? i'm assuming you can buy points to start with, they have to come from somewhere?

sounds very cool, i'll probably be signing up here...

pnw

7. pantagruel macrumors regular

looks promising, nothing on there I want now so Im going to hold off signing up until there is more on there, and they need to get the system straightened out because it sucks having to look at all the dvds they have without genres and such. thanks for the heads up though, cool that they dont charge for the service.

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i have the same confusion as paulwhannel...how do you get points in the first place? you need them to come from somewhere