Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Hi,

I have a new Airport Extreme N base station and C2D iMac so I am generally connecting at N speeds, which are halved in the UK and hence only 2.5x faster as opposed to 5x faster.

My question is this ... I have a Wifi G HP laser printer. Given that my times are already halved, will having this printer simply turned on and ready to receive slow down my network significantly? I want to put my mass storage drives on my Extreme with AirDrive, so I do want the speeds as high as possible as networked drives are a little slow anyway.

Would I get a significant boost in speed if I hung the laser off of another N router?

Also, is there any way to hack my router to remove the UK speed restrictions? If I got a bios update from someone in the USA?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
If you connect any G device to your N wireless network, the whole thing will slow down to N. I suggest you take another wireless G router and connect it to your main one as a non-DHCP access point, so your printer can connect to that one and still join up with the rest of your network. That way, your N router can remain at N speeds.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Also, is there any way to hack my router to remove the UK speed restrictions? If I got a bios update from someone in the USA?
No hacking required. Select the BS in AP Utility, select Base Station>Manual Setup>Wireless>Wireless Options, and select Ireland as the Region. Voilà, no restrictions apply. :)

Perhaps not 100% in compliance with UK law, but do you really care? After all, perhaps you found it was set to Ireland by default. Mine was. :)

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
That is fantastic (changing the setting to Ireland). How can I setup the internal AirPort in my iMac in the same way?

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Setting up the Mac as a Software Base Station ought to give the option, but if you go to System Prefs>Sharing>Internet>Airport Options, it doesn't. Maybe it only works passively, or perhaps you should simply try selecting Channel 10 or lower, as the only difference between European and US models appears to be that there are only 10 available channels in the US, as opposed to 13 over here, or so I have heard, and the default channel selected here is 13.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
My Basestation was already set to Ireland (from the factory!).

Also, while I am here, what about the multi-casting rate? That was set to 2Mbps, and can be set to 5.5 and 11 Mbps as well. Ideas?

Also, the WPA Group key timeout?!? Currently set to 1 hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.