New Nickels

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macaddicttt, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

This year they're coming out with new nickels (for non-Americans, a nickel is the American five-cent coin). What do you guys think?

New Nickels

I really like the one with the bison on the back, but not the Lewis and Clark one. There's something I don't like about the font they used for the "Ocean in view! O! The Joy!" And I don't like the new face, either. I like the old portrait much better. But I think it's hard to tell just from a photo. I'd like to see these in person.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I like the look of the new coin, in this case change is good. A better look to Thomas Jefferson. I also like the the word "Liberty" is in Thomas Jefferson's handwriting.

3. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

4. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think they are. I liked those alright. They weren't spectacular, but I didn't dislike them.

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

6. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think they're doing two new nickels a year, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure for how long.

7. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

8. apple2991 macrumors 6502

How do you get to be chosen to design a new coin? Do they hire some sort of graphic design firm or do they just give Bush some paper and crayons?

I am really curious how someone gets that job.

9. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Jefferson looks chiseled enough to be Pinocchio.

(Killed two birds with one stone, his chisled form and his long nose. Very well could have been three birds with a Jewish Pinocchio, but that's going too far. :D )

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hey the new nickles look pretty good like wdlove i think this change is for the bettr

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Can you buy anything for a nickel any more?

As a kid, I remember reading about 'nickel & dime' stores.
    Are they all Walmarts now? ;)

12. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I remember seeing some show on this a while ago. Apparently there are something like five guys who design the coins. And it's really hard to get the job, very prestigious. And they have to etch their designs into molds backwards, which are shrunken down and then used to strike the coins. All the coins are etched by hand because the government figures that if you use a computer, someone could make an exact copy. Doing it by hand, every time they do it, it's completely unique.

13. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

i like how they are nice and shiny but seriously, the only good side is the bison back, all the other sides are "wack attack 2005"©™ SFVCyclone ;)