New Nickels?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Oct 25, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

When did this happen? :rolleyes: I got 4, I thought they were Canadian, but took another look. What do you guys think of the new Nickel?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I like them.. just got one today. They're old skoolish.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They worked themselves in over the summer, I first started noticing them in the change I made for people in July. It's always fun to see new stuff. :D

4. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can't believe they came out that long ago and I just got my first one.. I mean North Carolina is backwards and all, but not THAT backwards.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

prefer the old ones... these new ones are yucky

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

We have nice special Veteran's quarters here in Canada, as well as "Victory" nickels commemorating the end of WWII. The Canadian Mint has always been great for releasing special coins, there's always several per year.

Link

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

They're cool. I'm not much into coin collecting, but ever since my Mom got me the first State Quarters proof set, I've been collecting those for my son. I got the 2005 nickel series proofs, too, just cause they are special editions.
    I don't expect any of them to ever be worth a whole lot, but they are actually pretty cool to look at. Proof coins are sooo shiny compared to the ones in circulation.

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

It's a boy buffalo! :eek:

Every time I get that nickel, I have to laugh a little.. because the designer didn't notice, the guy who OK'ed the design didn't notice... hehe

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

people in Denver, Philadelphia, New York and San Francisco will always get new coins first seeing that the mints are located in those areas. most of the coins need to trickle out to other areas. outer cities wont get new coins until their current supply demands it. so a few months is about right.
    also you may have just overlooked them because you wern't expecting them.

11. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Yeah - the "American Bison" one released earlier this year has been my favorite of the whole "Westward" series.

The 2006 "Return to Monticello" looks just plain fugly. I was kind of hoping the "American Bison" would become the new nickel, but oh well, it will spend just the same...

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The San Francisco and West Point mints do not produce circulating coins...only Denver and Philadelphia...

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Not sure about the Quarter sets, but one of the standard proof sets with the new quarters released fairly recently is currently running around $75-100. Lack of production or something....

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Hmm... :D