Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Here
I was never a huge NIN fan but i decided to download there new album for 10 bucks and give em a go. I must say it is pretty darn good. They have such an original sound it is one of the best albums i have listened to in the past 6 months.

please tell me your reviews if you have listened to this. :cool:

Xacttech

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
yep

Always been a nine inch nails fan.

This album is no exception.

Definitely a great album especially from a long time mac Advocate.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this album is awesome, its different than The Downward Spiral or the Fragile but its definitely better than most of the music out there

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I've been a NIN fan ever since I heard PHM in 1992. This new album is awesome. It sounds like NIN, yet it sounds like he's trying some new sound with it - and I'm diggin' it.
Get this. I paid slightly over $10 @ Best Buy for the dual-disc. Admittedly, my Powerbook doesn't like the CD side. It wouldn't load. It did load the DVD side. Hopefully, the brand new G5 (today) will read (and rip) the CD side correctly.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
eah, I got it today too, and I had never really been a fan either but decided to listen to the iTunes previews and loved the sound, and i bought 'em. I must say I am now amazed...

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
deputy_doofy said:
I've been a NIN fan ever since I heard PHM in 1992. This new album is awesome. It sounds like NIN, yet it sounds like he's trying some new sound with it - and I'm diggin' it.
Get this. I paid slightly over $10 @ Best Buy for the dual-disc. Admittedly, my Powerbook doesn't like the CD side. It wouldn't load. It did load the DVD side. Hopefully, the brand new G5 (today) will read (and rip) the CD side correctly.

ahhh man, really? I ordered the dual disc, haven't received it yet.

crap crap crap! :mad:

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
the capitol
what does the dual disk have special, is it the dvd-quality audio like some other releases? I had ordered the Downward Spiral redux and it ripped fine, hmm... dual disk vs cd.... its a nice bonus that its only $9.99 this time (vs The Fragile dual CD)!

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Rats!

Pre ordered my dual-disc in a special package through the website which came with a tshirt and a vinyl and I haven't gotten it yet...I can't wait to jam out to it!

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Here
Here is a link to download a garageband track of "The Hand that Feeds" track. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yeah dual discs dont like to work in slotloading drives, i actually ended up getting both versions so i could rip it onto my powerbook

Gyroscope

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2002
Byers beware. DualDisc does not conform to "RedBook" standard. Many audio hardware manufacturers have issued warnings about using DD in their equipment. If I was you id rather get separate CD+DVD package.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Dual disc (CD side) works on 2 of the 3 Macs I tried it on + my portable CD player, and it ripped fine in iTunes.

For those of you that have watched the video included on the DD, is it all interlaced, and totally crappy looking? I'm assuming this is a stylistic choice by NIN and not a defective DD, but I wanna ask just to make sure. ;)

Lethal

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
Dual disc (CD side) works on 2 of the 3 Macs I tried it on + my portable CD player, and it ripped fine in iTunes.

For those of you that have watched the video included on the DD, is it all interlaced, and totally crappy looking? I'm assuming this is a stylistic choice by NIN and not a defective DD, but I wanna ask just to make sure. ;)

Lethal

yes that is how its is supposed to look, i wasnt sure at first either, but i believe it is intended to look that way, it goes with the feel of the album certainly

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Just got this from iTMS. I used to love NIN, but kind of lost interest after Downward Spiral. I like the new single, had a bit of fun with GarageBand (thanks Trent!), and am hoping for a return to form.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Big fan of NIN too. Go watch them live, they're amazing. I just bought the Dual-Disc album too. Haven't played it at home yet but the album sounds good so far.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
I have been a NIN fan since the Pretty Hate Machine days, and I have never EVER been disappointed in the least about any LP release. Trent just can't screw up. I am constantly amazed.

The thing I love so much is that each major release is much different from the next, but still very "nine inch nails". With Teeth is no exception. A brilliant record.

I especially love "Sunspots" and "Right Where it Belongs", but it's all good, really.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Am I the only one who's disappointed with the album?

I've had a promo copy for a couple of weeks, although it's very slowly growing on me I still find it quite boring.
There's nothing on it that grabs you like anything off Pretty Hate Machine did.

They're just an average rock band with too much emphasis on guitars now.
Seeing some studio photos of Trent surrounded by huge modular analogue synths made me hopeful this album would be a mix between PHM, Broken and Still.
But no, it sounds like the tracks that didn't make The Fragile. I can't believe it's 5 years work!

Live wise nothing will compare to seeing them in a small club in Birmingham (UK) in 1989 or 1990 (I can't remember it's too long ago).
I think they've had their day...

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
bartelby said:

Nope I was disappointed too. I heard the about the single, downloaded the video and was pretty excited. I liked all the previous non-remix CDs (PHM, DS, and fragile) and I consider the downward spiral one of my top 10 favorite CDs of all time. The single sounded like a throw back to PHM in style, just a little crunchier, and I liked it. I listened to all the previews on iTunes Tuesday and couldn't find anything else that interested me so I spent my $.99 for the single and that was it.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Gyroscope said:
Byers beware. DualDisc does not conform to "RedBook" standard. Many audio hardware manufacturers have issued warnings about using DD in their equipment. If I was you id rather get separate CD+DVD package.

Good to know, actually. Well, my Powerbook did not like it at all. I tried it multiple times.
My G5 didn't like it the first time, but the second time it did. I was finally able to rip the tracks.
I knew the tray loader on the PM would work because I let my friend rip it from his HP laptop (also a tray loader).

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
bartelby said:

nope... ;) it's a bit safe isn't it... usual Reznor stuff, nothing more, nothing less.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
bartelby said:
<snip>
They're just an average rock band with too much emphasis on guitars now.
Seeing some studio photos of Trent surrounded by huge modular analogue synths made me hopeful this album would be a mix between PHM, Broken and Still.
But no, it sounds like the tracks that didn't make The Fragile. I can't believe it's 5 years work!
<snip>

well actually the album only took a few months, the rest of those five years were trent coming to terms with his addictions. and in my opnion this sounds nothing like the fragile, this is much more stright forward, has the live drums, and has a simpiler feel to it than fragile

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
bartelby said:

Premature to say I'm disappointed. I listened to it once this morning in my office through the Altec Lansing InMotion system, and it was not nearly loud enough :rolleyes: to properly judge. Still, the first listen didn't blow me away like the first time I heard PHM, but that's a pretty tough standard for anything to live up to.

I'll crank it up tonight when I get home. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.