New NVIDIA GeForce 6600

Discussion in 'Games' started by keysersoze, Aug 16, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

2. rareflares macrumors regular

they said it will be in ther price segement as the Radeon 9800, GeForce 5700, etc.

So I'd say something like $200-250 on the PC side retail. it'll be about a $50-100 more for the Mac.

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

HAHAHA.... for mac?

The Mac has not had a midrange retail video card for a long time. I sincerely doubt that this card will ever come to the mac. :cool:

But, if it does, your price estimate is about right...

4. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

You must be getting pretty excited about your Dual 2.5 arriving in four days.

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I was pretty excited when it was "on or before 7/30" as well. ;)

I'm trying to keep it the excitement level down over here so my hopes don't get dashed as bad as they were last time. :)

6. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Well, best of luck to you and it arriving "on time".

And on your soon-to-be 1000th post...

7. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Thanks. :)

Sorry to the creator of this thread for stealing the thread. ;)

Just to stay on topic, according to benchmarks, the 6600GT actually outperforms the X800PRO in Doom3. Looks like NVidia has won this round with a 1 (with the 6800) 2 (with the 6600) knockout. :D

8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

If you are looking at the THG doom3 benc, that's actually an X600... which it is designed to compete against.

9. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Nvidia takes back the Crown.

Its not even fair to compare these 2 boards , it seems Nvidia has out smarted ATI this round being that the 6600/6600GT are both 8 pipe line Video Cards compared to 4 for the X600. so while the X600 is a more powerful version of the old Radeon 9600XT , the 6600/6600GT is more like the GeForce FX 5950/5950 Ultra but up to 20% faster. It's even faster than the 9800XT at half the price.

I think we will see this card in the next gen Rev. C Power Mac G5 as ATI has pretty much said they will no longer be making AGP cards (X600 ,X300 will not come to AGP) only Limited supplies of the X800/X800Pro. so unless Apple includes PCI-Express(not PCI-X) in thier Rev .C models we will see it.

As far as a Retail Model is concerned, I think Apples Decision to Abandon ADC will lead to New Cards as the only difference now would be to apply drivers and not modify the board as the would have done in the past.

10. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Will, except for that whole firmware thing...

On a different note, not that this matters to mac users much, but NVIDIA's great graphics cards are probably going to get beaten pretty badly in Direct X9 Half Life 2 when it comes out...

11. applekid macrumors 68020

...Can we put that in a G5 iMac?...

(Runs for cover)

:p

12. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Contrary to Appleinsider's report, it turns out the G5 iMac WILL allow for replaceable video cards:

"Apple firmly believes that customer loyalty is built by providing options and functionality. We believe that this should not include only Pro models, but consumer models as well. In keeping with the Apple tradition of functionality and ease-of-use, we are pleased to announce that the forthcoming G5 iMac-line will be 100% backward-compatible with the Radeon Rage 128 Pro. That added flexibility will truly enable our customers to reach the pinnacle of their dreams."

:)

13. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

14. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Where did you get that? Link please. :D And what does backward-compatible mean? wouldn't that be rather an upgrade? And could you do it yourself?

15. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

www.bull*&@#.com :)

I was merely taking a shot at Apple for making great computer's with un-upgradeable parts like the video card in the iMac G5. The Rage would not be an upgrade... hehe... that's why I wrote backward-compatible... :)

16. benpatient macrumors 68000

The nVidia cards are only a 1-2 knockout if your entire life is spent playing Doom 3 or, possibly some as-of-yet-unknown game based on that engine.

As anyone who has run the Valve Source Stress Test or played CS:S Beta knows, Source-based games run considerably better on ATI. So far Doom 3 is alone.

Half Life 2
    Half Life: Source
    CounterStrike: Source
    TeamFortress: Source
    CounterStrike 2
    Day of Defeat: Source...

all of these games will run better on ATI hardware.

The only place where nVidia usually beats ATI is in Quake3-based games....and when you're comparing 130fps to 150fps....what's the difference, really?

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

and just to correct some mis-information on this board...

the 6600 GT will not be half the price of a 9800XT.

in fact it will probably be around the exact same price when dealers get involved in the price-setting...

the cheaper, slow-memory versions of the 6600 will probably come in at 150 dollars or less, but the fully-functioning ones, the straight 6600 and the GT, will hover around 200 dollars when the market is saturated...and they'll probably cost more than that for a while because they are going to be in demand...

18. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Not true whatsoever. The 6600 and 6800 lines come equipped with much better tech than the ATI cards, I.E. Shader 3.0, Ultrashadow II. Ati gets bumped pipelines and better AA tech. Nvidia's new graphics cards are geared for future titles like Battle for Middle Earth and Splinter Cell X. Quite simply, Nvidia's architecture is much better and it will show in the future.

19. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Need good mid-range, G4 compatible video

Which is a real shame. Those of us who've recently jumped over to the Mac platform and laid out considerable dough up-front just to get the basic hardware can't often afford the highest-end video card (in my case the Radeon 9800Pro is the best my G4 PowerMac can ever use). A straight-up non-Pro Radeon 9600 would make a very nice upgrade and still provide good support for Tiger's coming features (CoreImage, CoreVideo). I fear my Radeon 9000 Pro just won't be able to cut it and I'll be damned if I'd ever pay $350 for a video card!

20. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Shelling out dough for a nice video card isnt a bad thing. The problem is that high-end Mac video cards are old tech that is way overpriced.

21. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

What the hell is a "source" game?

22. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

"Source" is the code name for the Half-Life 2 engine...all of those games are being ported from the HL1 engine into the HL2 one...

23. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

24. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut