new(old) ibooks and panther- will it run?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by rmuttproduction, Mar 7, 2004.

1. rmuttproduction macrumors newbie

How fast of a machine can run Panther in a reliable fashion?
    I want to buy my girlfriend a older ibook simply as an internet/wordprocessing/music/etc machine as I have a g5 1.8 dual desktop and a g4 powerbook that I use all the time. It's just a second machine, if it could runa few other apps like photoshop, garageband etc that would be great but not necessary.
    Can these slower machines run Panther at anything other than a snails pace?
    How big of a harddrive would the machine really need? Apple states that Panther needs 2 gb of harddrive space and 128 mb of RAM, but what's the interface going to run like at those levels?
    Any help on this, or suggestions for models and speeds to look for (going ebay route) would be very helpful.

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

FWIW, Panther is just fine on my G3/900 iBook and iMac G3/600. A friend runs it on an iMac (400 Mhz I think).

128 is not enough RAM. I'd recommend 512.

3. rmuttproduction thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you pick up additional ram for the colored ibooks fairly cheap?
    Whats the expansion capacity on those machines?

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

panther is the kind of os that would be really helped by a bus of 100mhz or faster unless the cpu is really fast. the clamshell ibooks and at least the first white one only had a 66mhz bus. I think bus is as important if not more than cpu speed. I know 100 isn't much more than 66 but it makes a big difference. I think it was the second version of the white ibook that used a 100mhz bus. I have seen those on ebay for as little as 400.