New (Older) Core?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by stoid, Aug 28, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Warning: Geek expertise needed.

I have just set my dorm machine (a windows) to fold for MacRumors. It successfully completed three WU with FahCore_78.exe, and this morning at the start of the fourth, it downloaded FahCore_65.exe

It seems definitely to be an earlier core version. Instead of telling the number of steps completed, and what percentage of the total WU, it just says, "Finished a frame (x)" with x starting a one and increasing by 1 each time. What does this mean? Is it going to be folding slower. The machine it's running on is a 900Mhz Gateway with 128MB RAM and Windows 2000 Professional.

2. Plutronics macrumors member

My Machine has both cores and will switch between them with different types of Work Units. So I think you have a Non-Problem, want to trade?

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Core_65 is for Tinker work units and has been out for a while.

Core_78 is for Gromacs work units and was only released a few months ago.

How the Tinker core reports will have no effect on how quickly it crunches. It merely doesn't give an easy way to gauge progress.

4. Sir Furry Mark macrumors newbie

Take a look in the unitinfo.txt file - it will show your progress as a percentage. Tinkers can have 400, 200, 100 or 50 frames

Also, if you look in the file FAHlog.txt and locate the part where the unit processing starts, you will see a line that says something like this:
    (This is from one of mine that is working on a 200 frame p555 Tinker unit at the moment)

Note that there is a third core type that you might get occasionally - FahCore_ca.exe
    This is for Genome (gah) units. They get handed out if there are no Folding units available - still count towards your folding score however!

Ni! :D

5. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I haven't had one of those yet, where are the stats for them? (how many points you get, how big they are) :confused:

6. Sir Furry Mark macrumors newbie

Genome units all appear under the (pseudo) Project 799

Unlike Gromacs cores (which have variable numbers of 'steps') and Tinkers (which have variable numbers of 'frames') Genome units always have 30 'sequences'. They have variable points value depending on the actual protein sequence length. You can find a discussion of the point scoring for them on the Folding Community WebSite (HERE)

Although they don't have as high a score/minute value as (say) Gromacs, they have one very big advantage, which is that they never have a deadline, so can be run on old slow boxes :cool:

I also run them on a couple of boxes I have that are unstable running Gromacs. If you look at my stats (HERE) you will see that Project 799 units account for around 5% of my total - that is 5% I couldn't have got any other way!

Ni! :D

7. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Thanks for the info :D

8. Raven macrumors newbie

Note that there is no FahCore_ca.exe for the mac client yet!

9. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

hmm, it looks like one of my OS X boxes is trying to d/l the _ca core file... and cannot find it, leaving a zero bytre turd behind...

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Been messing with the fah/gah option recently? :D

11. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

nah, the client.cfg file shows type=1 (fah).

this is the machine that was failing like a mofo a few weeks ago. i wanted to troubleshoot the hardware a bit, so i tried to make it fail again.

maybe the fah server decided to try genomes since it couldn't do the usual stuff. but it should know macs don't do genomes.

oh, well. in other news, i'm looking at my first 10K week! and i'm just a couple hundred more points till i hit 50K, too! (since starting in early december)

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, I'm happy for you and the team and sad for people like me, who have fewer resources. :D

Good luck and continued success!

13. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

ahh, you know, i'll get popped in a month or two, or upgrades will wipe out my crons, or i'll chicken out and then i'll be gettin' passed and move back down the list. if only i can take 5th place around my birthday! :p (look out BlackAdder)

it's kinda organic that way. but it's fun racking 'em up while i can! and the more i can do the better for a cure.:)

and so far, i've been somewhat conservative with my use of accessible machines.:D

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Long gone is the time when someone with a dual G4/800 can make it to #9. Actually, that was only March of 2003.

How things have changed!

15. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

we can thank OS X and it's unix environment and adoption rate.

without ssh and cron, etc. i would be using one or two macs.