New online store

Discussion in 'Community' started by AlphaTech, Mar 1, 2003.

1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'd like to announce that my store (http://store.thetechpub.com) is online and ready for people to browse and use. If there is something you're looking for, but isn't listed, send an email and I will look it up and get back to you with a price and/or availability of the item ASAP.

Due to a delay in the SSL certificate being installed, all credit card orders need to be phoned, faxed, or emailed in (all information is on the site). The only hardware that I cannot sell (at least at this time) is from Apple :( I hope to correct that some day. I am doing all I can to offer products that are cross-platform or platform independent.

A

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't know much about thetechpub.com so I don't know what to expect from the store. So far there seem to be only a few items in each category. Do you plan to make it a supermarket or more of a speciality store?

3. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The main site (www.thetechpub.com) is more information based. I also have a NON-rumor discussion board in place there (come here for rumors).

As for the items at the store, I won't be selling low grade/crap products, which will reduce the number of products listed. I AM open to suggestions for items, and will do all that I can to offer those items.

Special order items won't have any extra charge associated with them. Some items don't have all that much of a markup, as such I have to at least not lose money on them.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow, the LaCie Databank looks amazing..

I'm not sure what's up with that site. a 13.3" p3 800 laptop from Acer lists for $4k... hmm... :confused:

5. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The brick laptop is a "left-over" from the template that came with the x-cart software... I've fixed that item... I will be listing some new laptops over the next day or two...

Any other products that you are interested in??

I'll be working on offering up a drive enclosure of my own... No real idea as to when I will have something to offer, but I hope it will be fairly soon.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

wireless trackballs? that's something i'm in the market for... i'd kill for a small wireless trackpad, but they don't seem to exist :confused:

:)
    pnw

7. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I've added a couple of cordless trackballs... Any other desired items?? I'll search for a cordless trackpad and see if it exists.

A

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

what the ****? :confused:

where in god's name do you buy from? PM me yo....

i'm still looking for a mouse with variable wheel speed. :)

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What about the games? I'd be interested in seeing what you get there.

Also, what about techpub.com branded items? :D

D

10. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

What types of games are you referring to?? Computer games, in general, have very little mark-up, if any. If you want something in partitcular, I can search for it... Also, game consoles have 0 markup at this time. Most retail stores that sell the consoles take a loss on them and try to make up for it on the games and other items. I have a feeling that they deal directly with the game makers, not distributors.

As for theTechPub name branded items, I will be making buil-to-order computers, and I am working on getting FireWire 400 and 800 chipsets to make some drive enclousers. No ETA on the enclosures, since I don't have the chipsets to use in prototyping the enclosures. My goal for the enclosure is to make it 100% from aluminum, as thin as possible, but still strong enough to not flex at all, and bus powered (for Mac users, pc users may need to use an AC adapter unless they have 6 pin FireWire). Once I get the oxford eval units, I will be able to prototype the item and then offer it up for sale. To be safe, I may have to do the enclosures on request only... If they are popular, then I will get some extras made and stock them (makes for faster ship times).

I just received initial logo designs from a firm that I hired to come up with one for me. That will make things move a bit faster in getting theTechPub branded items up on the store.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

1. Great to see you Alphatech. Hope all is well with you.

2. I'd love to find a very small, cordless optical mouse that I could use with my powerbook.

Thanks,
    M

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I can't find the mac rumors discount... what's up with that?
    ;)

13. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ummm, that's because there isn't one.

At some point I will [probably] offer a discount for people that contribute to the site/company.

A

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

nice to see you, alphatech!

maybe you can sell logo shirts, posters, and other stuff that is techie related

oh, and also techie tools and books

15. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'm 100% open to product suggestions, as long as it is a quality product. I won't sell inferior items (or too cheap to be true) since I don't want to have to deal with tons of returns.

It appears that a SSL IS in place now. It's not the GeoTrust one I paid for, but there are some problems going on between my host and GT. Once those are all ironed out, I will have the GeoTrust SSL certificate. Until them the credit card processing IS secure (I just checked to make sure it is).

I also just dropped the prices on some LaCie items and added their Internal DVD-RW for Macintosh systems to my list. I will be adding some additional LaCie products to the catalog over the next day or two, since I'm just getting to the list I was sent by my LaCie rep.

I'm also working with Oxford Semiconductors to obtain bridge boards so that I can create (and offer/sell) drive enclosures that are FireWire 400, 800 and/or USB2. The enclosures will be for 1.8", 2.5", 3.5" and 5.25" drives/devices.

BTW, I checked, even after all the months of NOT posting, I'm STILL in the top 10 ranks. I don't know if that's good for me, or lame for the rest of the masses... heh

A

16. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

another new product

Another new item added to my store... LaCie's 20" photon20vision display. It's a 20.1" LCD display with an optional desk arm mount. Very svelte, not über expensive (I'm selling it below list) and CAN be color calibrated (with LaCie's color calibration hardware, also at my store).

As always, I will be adding product to the catalog as time allows, and when I find something that either people are asking for, or I feel is at least a decent product. I'm not sure how long before I am able to offer my own brand of FireWire storage devices. Hopefully not TOO long (this year would be nice).

Depending on how some other things go, I may even branch into having laptops built to my own specifications (not other name brands) for sale. I need some hefty funds to do that though, which MIGHT be forthcoming soon (I hope). Grants are your friend ;) Investors are too...

Well, I'm off [my rocker, but that's besides the point]... Anyone interested in something not listed should message me... either pm me from here, or send me an email, or send an email to the address listed on the store site... ;)

PEACE [all you mother f***ers]!! heh

A

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'd say it's lame for you. :p ;)

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think it is a combination of lameness on your part (but you are
    definitely not a lame person ;) - just a little nerdy:D), lameness on
    our part (hey - I'm trying to get on the top ten. I will be on the
    top 20 soon :p), and a lack of prolific posters.

But don't worry - we will get you out of the top ten - if it's the last
    thing we do!

:D :D :D

19. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Think what you like Row-dogg, and I'll think as I like... heh ;) scem0, I hope your avatar isn't a self portrait [retch] :eek:

As for the rest of the masses, I won't speak for them, nor offend them... since I don't know them. I know optical-art is a cool dogg (to be Frank) heh...

Anywhoo... I'll be adding more product to the store over the coming days, as new items get released (and in channels) I will add them as well. I hope to do well enough, that in less then a year I can open a retail store (real world retail) and be able to sell Apple branded hardware as well. That will depend on how things go over the coming month as some things are in the works (in the shadows).

Stay in the light, and you'll be safe... heh

A

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Smeagol like self portrait.......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

heads up

Pending on what happens over the next two days, I will be having a "grand opening" sale with my online store. As of this time, I am slating the sale to cover somewhere between two and four weeks starting by the begining of April. I will post a coupon code in the demi-god section for everyone that has contributed to MR. So far, my ideas for the coupon range from one free item with orders, which will either be selected by the customer or myself (not sure which yet). Any burner purchase will include a free 50 count spindle of CD-R media (up to 52x). External hard drives will include an interface card of the appropriate type (i.e. FireWire, USB2, or SCSI). Any purchase of two (or more) hard drives (of any size) will include an ATA interface card of the appropriate level. I will be listing more combinations as the time draws closer. Any suggestions should be emailed to me so that I can consider them.

I will have a drawing as well... Any MR demi-god will be able to enter for free. Anyone else either needs to make a purchase on the store, or purchase an entry to the drawing (I haven't decided what purchase amount gets a free entry). Prize items (at this time) may include a brand new iBook, 12" PowerBook (might do the larger ones as well, I haven't decided yet), LaCie 52x burner, MAYBE a new G4 tower (level TBD), 512MB memory stick (type depends on what system you need it to go into). Again, email me any suggestions and I WILL consider them all.

Check back here as April gets closer and I update the details... Anyone that wants to get the MR demi-god benefits on my store MUST be a registered demi-god BY the start of the sale.

A

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think it is great that you are rewarding those who contribute
    to MR. I look forward to this, and this might be the thing that
    convinces me to buy the mug I have been wanting for a while
    now. ;)

23. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Remember what I said about when you contribute here... If you get the mug AFTER I start the sale, you won't get the same deals... You have about two weeks before the sale starts, so do whatever you have to and get the money for the mug.

Besides supporting MR, you get a very usefull 16oz mug... ;) Good for the morning coffee, soup, or just about anything else that you consume in large volume... :eek:

A

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's some really nice stuff you're thinking about giving away - sure to generate some interest. You going to advertise at your site that its going on?

D

25. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'll be giving arn a banner ad to put up on MR, as well as one for my main site... I'll also announce it on my discussion boards. If you can think of some other sites I should advertise this on, let me know (urls would be helpfull as well).

I figured the Apple stuff would generate a ton of interest here... I'll also be giving away some pc stuff... like a laptop or two, maybe a tower (not sure). Again, send me any suggestions and I will think about them.

A