New Operating System time life

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JW8725, Jun 19, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

So I've got Tiger, the latest version of Mac OS. Id like to know how long this should stay the latest version? Dont get me wrong im all for innovation and improvement and ultimately another animal named OS but I'd dont wanna be shelling out again anytime soon, ya get what im sayin?

Just how often do Mac bring out Operating Systems?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In his WWDC presentation, Steve Jobs told you that MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard) will be released toward the end of 2006 or early 2007. You may go to Apple's website and watch for yourself.

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Took 2 or 3 years to go from Jaguar (*shivers*) to Panther ( =) ), then 2 or 3 years to Tiger ( =D ).
    With the change in hardware, the dropped PPC architecture. They need the OS to come out soon. I see only 50+ updates in Leopard, instead of 150+ like the usually do.

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

ya the time frame for 10.5 is very up in the air. you won't even know anything about it until June/July of next year... where it'll likely be released later that year. At this point Apple is just looking to destroy Microsoft here. Expect LOTS of Spotlight enhancements though. I feel Spotlight while it works great now, has lots of room for improvement. other than that though, i honestly can't imagine what other cool stuff they'll come up with. seriously.

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Hmmm, I just had a thought. Apple has no plans to release the x86 version of Tiger, but what will the first Intel machines run until Leopard is released?

6. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

They'll run a custom-built version of Tiger, much like that on the Transition Kit systems. This is entirely possible, for example the original G5 tower had a custom build of Jaguar on it.

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Why did they put a custom build of Jag on the G5's? It's not like it was a new platform like this situation.

8. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

The G5 tower featured new hardware that the current release of Jaguar couldn't handle; mainly things such as the new motherboard configuration. You've also got to take into account the various parts of the OS that are bit-specific - they'd need to rebuild for the G5's 64-bit architecture.

9. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Well, you learn something new every day. I never knew that. Thanks for the info. :)

10. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

They will probobly release Tiger on the new x86 machines becuase the new macs will probobly be released at MWSF 06 and leopard is going to be out at the end of that year so it would be the only logical step to go.

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

They simply won't be selling boxed copies of Tiger x86, as all new Intel Macs will come with it already. I'd imagine Leopard won't land until early 2007, that late 2006 is optimistic. So for 9 months we'll have Tiger x86, and the first x86 OS X you'll be able to buy off the shelf will be Leopard.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard) is supposed to be released several months after the first commercial x86-based Macs, but sometime before all shipping Macs feature the x86.