Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karboN.6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Ny
Does anyone know what the new operating system is and when it is supposed to come out? I was wondering whether or not to buy Mountain Lion because I have Snow Leopard right now.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Does anyone know what the new operating system is and when it is supposed to come out? I was wondering whether or not to buy Mountain Lion because I have Snow Leopard right now.

OSX is not terribly expensive. I wouldn't worry about upgrading only to have a new version come out in a few months at the prices Apple is charging these days. If you don't need a particular feature of ML (the ability to manage shared photostreams from iPhoto on your Mac and not just from your iThings for example), I suggest you wait until there is a compelling reason to upgrade.

One possible reason to consider upgrading is security updates. While MS releases security updates for their OS for decade(s), Apple tends to drop support for any OS that is two versions old or older. SL is two versions old and I'm not sure it's getting any updates.

karboN.6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Ny
Im just worried because i see everyone going back to snow leopard from lion.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Your seeing the few people that have trouble and/or don't like the changes that Apple has done. The majority of Mac users are very happy with Mountain Lion or you would be seeing a LOT more "switching back" posts.

Mountain Lion is a very nice upgrade to Snow Leopard provided you don't need Rosetta and have at least 4GB of RAM (a SSD helps too).

Your seeing the few people that have trouble and/or don't like the changes that Apple has done. The majority of Mac users are very happy with Mountain Lion or you would be seeing a LOT more "switching back" posts.

Mountain Lion is a very nice upgrade to Snow Leopard provided you don't need Rosetta and have at least 4GB of RAM (a SSD helps too).
For all those with new Macs who miss Rosetta support, I imagine many more would switch back if only it was so cut & dry to get hold of a legit copy of Snow Leopard & simply install an older version of OS X on a new Mac. Unfortunately, for some people at least, it isn't that simple.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
the question you need to ask yourself is if there is anything that you want or need Mountain Lion for. And with the loss of Rosetta is there any software you'd have to stop using or find replacements for.

If we go by when Lion and Mountain Lion were released, it's possible we could see the next OS X version in July. But it could be after that as well.

And rememebr APple has dropped OS updates to $20 US.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
the question you need to ask yourself is if there is anything that you want or need Mountain Lion for. And with the loss of Rosetta is there any software you'd have to stop using or find replacements for.

If we go by when Lion and Mountain Lion were released, it's possible we could see the next OS X version in July. But it could be after that as well.

And rememebr APple has dropped OS updates to $20 US.

Still need Rosetta in Lion or Mountain Lion?

Install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
No information on OS X 10.9 has been released, but many people expect it to follow the same trend as 10.8, with an announcement later this month and a public release in July.

Personally I love Mountain Lion, and recommend it to all users with iOS devices due to iCloud syncing. If you use Calendar (formerly iCal), Notes, Contacts or Reminders, than you will find this feature to be extremely useful since all changes will be updated across your devices.

The new gestures that were introduced in 10.7 and 10.8 are also a great addition.

I purchased the latest MacBook Pro last year, so I can't judge how much smoother Mountain Lion is compared to Snow Leopard on an older device, but from what I hear it's almost identical in terms of performance.

You could wait until 10.9, but you should take into account that new releases can often be buggy, meaning you should wait a couple months for things to be ironed out before installing. So having said all that, at $20 I would just download Mountain Lion.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
No information on OS X 10.9 has been released, but many people expect it to follow the same trend as 10.8, with an announcement later this month and a public release in July.

Personally I love Mountain Lion, and recommend it to all users with iOS devices due to iCloud syncing. If you use Calendar (formerly iCal), Notes, Contacts or Reminders, than you will find this feature to be extremely useful since all changes will be updated across your devices.

The new gestures that were introduced in 10.7 and 10.8 are also a great addition.

I purchased the latest MacBook Pro last year, so I can't judge how much smoother Mountain Lion is compared to Snow Leopard on an older device, but from what I hear it's almost identical in terms of performance.

You could wait until 10.9, but you should take into account that new releases can often be buggy, meaning you should wait a couple months for things to be ironed out before installing. So having said all that, at $20 I would just download Mountain Lion.

Do you work for Apple?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Not everyone - I love ML, and even Lion wasn't bad. True Snow Leopard was a great OS, but not initially, that too had issues early on. With Mountain Lion Apple produced a solid stable OS with lots of good features.

I believe they moved to an annual incremental release and if that's the case we may see 10.9 being announced in the next month or two with an estimated summer release. I have no inside information, just guessing.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

Mountain Lion is much better than Lion, but Lion was not that bad. There are some people who just don't like change. People who are not happy are more likely to post a negative comment, that people who are happy on a forum like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.