New OS X user here. How do I keep prying eyes....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CalGrunt, Nov 3, 2005.

1. CalGrunt macrumors regular

.....from seeing files/documents, email.............. and bookmarks in Safari or Firefox that I don't want them to see, but still want them to have access to those applications?

I know in everything that I've read that this is possible. I'm just not quite sure exactly how to set it up.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Make an account for you, and make an account for others.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Set up a new, non-admin, account for users to access those applications. Those additional accounts will not have access to any documents, bookmarks, cookies, etc., that are in your account.

You can also enable fast user switching so that you can quickly move between accounts without logging out.

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If other people will be using your Mac, turn on Fast User Switching in the Accounts pane in System Preferences, then create an account for the other users which doesn't have administrative permissions.

If you just want to keep people away while you're away from your desk, check out the Security pane in System Preferences, this will enable you to turn on password protection when waking your Mac or turning off the password protection etc.

5. CalGrunt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I just moved over from 8.6. All I can say is...............WOW !!!!

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

You may also want to enable file vault..

And encrypted Virtual Memory if you are really paranoid.

Once files are unlinked from the file system it is essentially good bye, unlike in Windows :D