New OSX User Help Please: Not Ejecting, Trash Bin Errors, etc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adam-uk, Mar 28, 2006.

1. adam-uk macrumors member

adam-uk

Hey,

Ok, so I made the switch back last year, yes im one of the 'i wish i'de waited till january' crew. I have a iMac G5 isight, and am by no means a OSX wizz-kid.

Anyway, to my issues:

1. For some reason, since about 3 days ago, all of my ejectable items (e.g. ipods, cds, dvds, and virtual drives) dont eject properly. There is no option to "eject" in the contextual menus, the keyboard wont do it, and I have to end up ejecting using either Finder, iTunes, DVD Player (or a recently installed equivelent to Finder - i forget the name lol.)

2. When i go to empty the trash bin, on certain occasions an error pops up, telling me it cannot fulfil the process - it does have a error number which i will have to try and find. However, if i 'open' the trash folder, close it, then rightclick to delete....it will delete the items no questions asked.

And finally...
    3. This is not a problem, but I thought ide tie all my 'newbie' loose ends for mac osx in this thread. I just wanted to know if you can change the default icon for specific things. I downloaded a set of icons, and i really like the standard folder one. Can i make ALL my mac 'folders' have that icon?

I dont want to view info > copy > paste etc...etc...

Any help (top 2 are obviously most important) with this issues would be great. Just need some pointers from some experienced users.

Cheers.
    Adam

2. Queso macrumors G4

1. Looks like you've lost the ability to run the UMOUNT command, which dismounts file systems. A permissions repair normally sorts. From the Go menu, select Utilities, then open the Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD from the list on the left and click the Repair Permissions button. This may not work, but it normally does from my experience.

2. What are you trying to delete here? Are they files in your user directory or applications?

3. Don't know that one, but I'd be interested in the answer if anyone can help.

(mod edit: no need to quote a post directly above your own)

3. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I think we have our answer.

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I can answer your third question.

You can batch change all your icons without having to do the get info>copy>paste thing.

You have to get an app. called "candybar" it's affordable, and the demo should be good too, I don't know cuz I just bought it.

it is a flexible program, and you won't lose your original icons either

5. adam-uk thread starter macrumors member

adam-uk

Thanks for the responses.

Ok, so im back using my imac now, and the 3rd party file browser is Path Finder. Sorry i didnt remember the name before. But will this app actually change unmounting / ejecting features?

The Trash thing just happens randomly, and the files are of various types apps, word, text, asp, etc. Hopefully it will do it again so i can show the error message.

To the last reply, will this app just convert the current icons? or will every time i make a folder in the future, the new icon will be used,

again, thankyou for your ideas. much appreciated!

adam

6. NJuul macrumors 6502

7. adam-uk thread starter macrumors member

adam-uk

OK, so I took your kind advice, and tried to repair permissions, however i now get a screen like this, which constantly hangs:

[​IMG]

Ive used this screen before and it worked fine.

Getting slightly worried now lol.

Any tips? Sorry to be a bother again :D

8. zami macrumors regular

Try to borrow an Apple laptop, connect with Firewire, start up the laptop and then start up yours holding down T. Go to Disk Utility on the laptop and see if you can repair permissions on your computer's HD from there.

9. adam-uk thread starter macrumors member

adam-uk

lol, I wish I knew someone else with a mac. I think I will just have to take it in somewhere!