new owc firmware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcampbell1070, Feb 25, 2012.

1. macrumors member

just a heads up there is a new firmware for some owc ssd's here is a link to owc website http://blog.macsales.com/ go there and see if u need to update. i updated with no problems.

2. macrumors 65816

Yeah, thanks a lot OWC for this crap. I'm using their Data Doubler and the only way to install this firmware update on late-2011 MBP seems to be to take the Data Doubler out and place the Superdrive back in the optibay because Apple EFI restrictions won't allow the installation through a USB-connected Superdrive, or something like that.

Really inconvenient.

3. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense, but that's the risk of pulling the optical drive. FWIW, the last firmware update would flash onto my drive and since my SSD is working, I'll skip this.

4. macrumors 65816

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I mean is that I need to flash the firmware, and the only way OWC does this is by creating a bootable optical disk.

People who pull their internal optical drive and place a SSD in its place cannot flash the SSD because of limitations imposed by apple because they're booting off a USB optical drive

6. macrumors 65816

But I keep my SSD in the HDD bay, and keep a HDD in the Data Doubler (optibay)... Probably still couldn't update the SSD firmware through my external caddy Superdrive (USB), right?

7. macrumors 6502

sfoalex

8. macrumors newbie

Thats correct. OWC said "we are working on a fix but don't have an ETA."

9. macrumors 6502a

You can use Windows on BootCamp if you like. You don't have to use the Mac option to do the update.

10. macrumors 65816

Ok, I was told by OWC that you can also update the firmware through Bootcamp, so that's good news.

EDIT: @mdgm: sorry, I just saw your post! Have you tried it before? So it's as easy as making a Bootcamp partition on my SSD and then installing the firmware from Bootcamp? And after that I can just remove the partition (since my SSD is only 120GB and I don't have the room to keep the partition)?