New PB 17" / Heat and Noise

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pstoehr, Sep 24, 2003.

1. pstoehr macrumors member

Hi,

I'm very interessted in the ne PB 17" 1.33GHz and maybe I'm going to buy one.
    Has anyone already got the new one and can give me some info about the noise of the fan.
    Furthermore, is the new one hoter or cooler than an 12" PB or the old 17" PB.

Thanks for any info
    Peter

2. dho macrumors 6502

All I can say is that it is almost gauranteed to be cooler than the 12''.

Good Luck!

3. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

Yes, I just got mine 2 days ago at a Apple retail location. I am very impressed with how quiet it is and how cool it runs. It seems to get warm near the back of the machine but has yet to get warm enough to be uncomfortable to touch or put on my lap.

4. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

hot baby

ok well, i went a local connecting point in my area where my friend works and I asked about getting a 17 inch Alubook.

He told me that 3 people had already
    returned their laptops because they got TOO hot!!

My major concerns about the new laptops is NOISE, i hate noise and use a laptop instead of a Powermac because of that issue.

And Heat because obviously its the heat that causes the fan to boot and start the noise!

It may be possible that the chip in the 17" is overclocked and heats up more!

Hopefully someone that has one will speak up. But i cant see why my friend would lie to me?

5. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

Hopefully someone that has one will speak up. But i cant see why my friend would lie to me?

See post above. I'm telling you guys, unless i happened to get an exceptional unit, the new 17inch PB's run cool and are EXTREMLEY quiet. There is a little noise when you use the superdrive but thats all.

6. .a macrumors regular

i just returned from my chicago-vacations and of course i visited the apple store there. what a nice city - what a nice store! first apple store i have ever been (i am a swiss guy) and i am really impressed!
    anyway, they had the new laptops (though they had a lot of the "old" titanium ones) and there was the new 17"-er, too! besides the backgroundnoise, this machine sounded quiet and felt warm - not hot (the machine runs the whole day long) - a machine to adore!
    .a

7. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Grokgod:

I have toyed with both the 12" and 17" old version PB's in shops in London, UK . The 12" is surprisingly hot to the touch but the 17" is absolutely fine.

As an example, when I went to Micro Anvika (West End store) recently they had a 1ghz 17" on at the entrance all day (I got there late afternoon) and it was quiet and relatively cool - no worse and in fact arguably better than an IBM Thinkpad I use.

Next to it was a 12" that had been on for a couple of hours, which looked gorgeous but was incredibly hot. It certainly dissuaded me from considering the machine. This is a personal opinion, others may feel the heat is acceptable, but heat there definitely is.

So IMO I can only assume that your friend is getting mistaken between the 12" and 17"
    Vanilla