new pb by jun/july?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

    Rob587

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #1
    i will need a pb by next august at the lattest for college. Will there be updates by then that can be shipped to me b4 august? I dont really need it now, but If there wolnt be updates before then, I dont want to be wasting my time on a pc. thanks
     
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

    jxyama

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2003
    #2
    just get one. there's no guarantee. the last update took a year - since new ones were introduced just a while ago, now is a pretty darn good time to get one.

    minor price drop/update may happen before august. but then, given the track record of apple shipping, i wouldn't count on being able to make sure you have a PB "soon" after an update.
     
  3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

    Dr. Dastardly

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2004
    Location:
    I live in a giant bucket!
    #3
    They were just updated. As to when the next update who knows. On paper it sounds like around that time but considering it was about 10 months for the last update they are getting rather unpredictable. I think it is taking a while because Apple DESPERATLY wants to put a G5 in them. Idealy they will do this at WWDC but honestly it looks less and less likely. Paris is more likely than WWDC and that in September. Even if you ordered it at the moment Steve presented it you will no doubt have to wait a while before its actually delivered.

    I would say just buy one now, or get an iBook or Mac mini to tide you over until then.
     
  4. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2004
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    #4
    Yes, any major update would cause massive order delays and you won't get it for probably 3+ weeks after availability (which is not always the same time as announcement).

    However, the other thing to think about is that waiting for at least an official Tiger release date (if not the actual release) will allow you to get Tiger either for free or for a minor upgrade fee. Right now, you'll be looking at $129 upgrade (proabably). I think Tiger will be worth the upgrade, but you can decide that for yourself. Of course, $129 may well be worth not having to deal with Windows headaches for the next few months.
     
  5. ckpg99 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Location:
    Mission, KS
    #5
    tiger student pricing

    you should be able to get tiger for much cheaper than $129 when it comes out if you're a college student. Current student pricing for panther is $69. Just something to think about.
     
  6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Rob587

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #6
    well i guess its smart to get a pb now instead of waiting, but I will be irritated if they do something like put a new graphics card in or something b4 i go to college, but then again ill also be mad if nothing happens by the time i go and im wasste even more time wiht my pc.
     
  7. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #7
    Wait for the G5 PowerMac updates in the next few weeks; that should hold you over for quite some time ...
     
  8. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #8
    The powebooks were just updated and people are still constantly asking about when they'll be updated again...

    ...WHAT ABOUT THE POWERMACS!?!?! :( :( :(




    (no offense to the original poster, just venting some frustration about whether to stay in the waiting game for the next powermac rev :eek: )
     
  9. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Rob587

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #9
    lol, dont worry about it. the main reason that I think you will find most ppl so anxious about the powerbooks is because they really arent up to speed comparativly speaking when it comes to the pc laptops out, and the powermacs are deff up to speed with the current pc towers out there, if not faster. Ill take a dual 2.5ghz processor with over 1ghz fsb over any hyper threading 3.6ghz piece of junk anyday.

    now back to my post...lol ;)
     
  10. maya macrumors 68040

    maya

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Location:
    somewhere between here and there.
    #10
    TS inside info says that there might be a PBG5 released at WWDC '05, due to they insiders wording. ;) :)
     
  11. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #11
    Link?
     
  12. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #12
    As long as they make the 15 inch thinner again like the tibook was, ill be happy. :D Why did they make the aluminum powerbook thicker than its predecessor? If thats how you spell it.
     
  13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #13
    Really? It's hard to remember when TS was wrong...got a link?
     

Share This Page