New PB G4 - Two batteries?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by digitalrampage, Oct 26, 2002.

1. digitalrampage macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2001
    Sydney, Australia
    I was at work yesterday installing some ram into a new eMac and I quickly ran the 'Apple Hardware test kit' over it...

Under one of the Panels in the test kit it has a BATTERY section.. marked 'Right' and 'Left'

However, no models of Apple Laptop/dekstop computer have been available with Dual batteries until well after these Test Kits surfaced years ago now.

I suggest you try on your iMac or eMac with test kit 1.2.1 (this is what i used).. Its under the profiler tab on the top right...

Interesting huh.. I doubt this was left in accidently, as the last powerbook that support two batts, (The PISMO) never came with the Test Kits...

- Digi

Powerbook G3 500 PISMO
    384MB, 40GB 5400 RPM HD
    OS X.2.1
  2. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Maybe it is a chip that takes a whole bunch of power, so they are making up for it by using 2 batteries. A 1.2 GHz tiBook would definitely not have too long of a battery life, unless it had 2 batteries. Good eye.
  3. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

May 2, 2002
    ...The old PB G3's were able to have 2 batteries, so I guess it was jsut for backwards compatibility. I'd love it if the new ones were able to as well...
  4. rice_web macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Minot, North Dakota
    I'd guess that we'll see a move to Lithium Polymer batteries first (though two lithium polymer batteries never hurt anyone)
  5. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    You have to remember even Powerbooks have PRAM batteries...could this test be for the PRAM battery in addition to the regular battery?
  6. iNeo macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2002

I have a Ti667 and I'm wondering where the seecond battery would go? The internal optical drive is a must. Mabie they would give us two smaller batts with the current capacity so we could swap them on the go. Then again, you really just need to put the computer to sleep to swap them now. :cool:
  7. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Re: New PB G4 - Two batteries?

My PowerBook G3 has two bays that can hold batteries, one on the left and the other on the right. Clearly, Apple is not going to write different versions of its test software for every specific model. This software is designed to test a wide array of models, not just those being sold when you woke up this morning.