new PB hard drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shake, Aug 26, 2003.

1. shake macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2002
    Toronto, CANADA

i was wondering if anyone out there has tried the Hitachi/IBM Travelstar 7K60 (60gb,7200RPM,8MB) UltraSlim 2.5" NoteBook Drive in a PowerBook? in particular, the PB G4 667?

this would drastically improve the speed and make the powerbook snappier (less spinning beach balls!).

is swapping hard drives in these machines fairly straightforward? are there any links to diagrams or service manuals?

any help is appreciated...
  2. xpormac macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2003
    If its similair to a PC laptop, then yea, it shouldn't be too hard.

Do a search on google, should pull up something.

That hard drive is nice, i've been thinking about getting one. :D
  3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    Just realize there will be an impact on battery life and a good chance of higher temperatures with the higher RPM HD. But good luck, if you get it to work, I'm sure it'd be one hell of a beast.
  4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    I swapped out my TiBiook's original 4200RPM 10GB drive for the Toshiba 5400RPM 40GB/16MB buffer hard drive.

My primary concern was storage space (iTunes, baby!), but I was hoping for a performance pop too.

The operation was quite straight-forward -- I just printed out the PDF file on Apple's website that explains how to do it. No tricks.

And while I did reap the benefit of storage, I can't say that I gained too much in the way of noticeable performance. (Remember, Apple decided not to go with stock 5400RPM drives because they found no significant performance boost.)

However, your change (+70%) is much greater than mine was (+20%), so you stand a better chance of actually seeing a boost.

Advice? Set aside about an hour for the actual surgery -- it shouldn't take you that long, but you don't want to feel rushed. Have confidence and let us know how things go!

P.S. -- I picked up a small FW400 enclosure for my old hard drive, initialized with four partitions, added OS 9, Jaguar, left one for Panther, and put some utilities on the other partition. Now I have that as a "rescue" first aid start-up disk.
  5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL