New PB or keep ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Apr 23, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I got inspired this morning and placed an order for a new 15" PB (1.5G) w/ 80 G 5400 RPM, etc..
    I currently have an ibook 1G that I'm selling on ebay.
    Am I crazy?
    I do get a great discount(using adc discount the PB is $2000) so I may end up spending about $600 diff (selling apple stock to pay for it hee hee)

Besides the Way Cool factor (not to be dismissed) the pb should be about 1/2 again as fast, have DVI out, bigger/higher res screen and of course, that way cool backlit keyboard.
    Any feedback?

2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you've got a decent iBook, why not wait till the G5 PBs come out and save your ADC purchase till then?

4. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I, for one, think you made a wise choice. I can't wait to see my girlfriend's backlit keyboard. :eek: ;) :D

5. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

iBook 1 g is First gen 1 Ghz 14 G4
    I thought about waiting for the G5s PB but:
    1. It will be at least a year till they are announced (i'm willing to bet- hearing Macworld SF 2005)
    2. I would not even CONSIDER buying a rev A of a new architecture like that. I would take one if it were given to me, tho;-)

3. I can resell my pb for at least what I paid or more in a year or so - and use that towards a pb g5 - at that time.

adc is Apple Developer Discount. If you are a student you can buy a membership for $99.00 and get a one time ADC discount of up to 20% off hardware - see: http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

click on Hardware Purchase Program to see the discounts.