New PB owner - Wouldn't call myself a 'switcher'...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stillspiraling, Feb 23, 2005.

1. stillspiraling macrumors newbie

Hey there - I just picked up the newest version of the Pbook in the 15" variety.
    Specs:
    1.67GHz
    512M pc2700 (left it stock, ordered another gig already! :cool: )
    ATI 9700 w/ 128M
    Combo Drive (have a DVD burner on my desktop already)
    80G 5400rpm

Also picked up a Shinza ZeroShock sleeve, and a RadTech BT500 mouse! Woot.

All is great, except for one thing. The memory slot my main memory was residing in went south! I took it to an Apple tech and they suggested shipping it out because it's actually the slot that is bunk! Ouch! For now I switched the memory to the other slot and all is well. All this just a week after getting it! Oh well, I'll forgive because it's all free and I'm enjoying this thing a lot so far ;)

Cheers!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nice. How is the "new and improved" backlit keyboard - bright enough? I can't tell in the Apple Store because it's too bright in there to trigger it.

3. stillspiraling thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the backlighting of previous versions, but I can say this has like 15 settings and can make pretty much the whole interior of the lappy glow. I haven't used it much as I'm a battery life fiend and don't find myself typing in complete darkness too often ;)

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Thank you - it certainly sounds like it'd be fine. I do tend to do work in darker environments (i.e., while family is watching TV, while wife is trying to sleep, etc.), so this is important to me (but having the laptop plugged in isn't a big deal to me in those situations).

*** one less reason not to buy... ***

5. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Oh man I know the feeling...