New pbook or ibook, please explain memory!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nutella, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Nutella macrumors member

Hello, I'm still in the deciding stage between a 12" pbook and ibook. I keep hearing I should buy more memory immediately (I'll mainly use it for photoshop).

What I don't understand is this - does buying less-than-max amount of memory preclude you from buying the catch-up amount later (without having wasted money)? Or can you add little by little, and not have to ditch what you already bought? And is the answer different for the powebook vs ibook? And whether I buy it from Apple or elsewhere? I only want to spend my money once, but maxing out memory is expensive!

Hope this question makes sense, Thanks!

2. DGFan macrumors 6502a

There is one slot for memory plus 256MB hardwired to the motherboard. Obviously if you put memory in the slot and want to upgrade it later there will be some old memory to get rid of.....

3. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

If you upgrade later you can get aftermarket ram at a cheaper price and also sell the old stick on ebay. I think you'll save this way. That's if you're purchasing directly from Apple. MacMall and others usually have deals on extra ram. This way is a good way to go also. :)

4. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

There's only one free memory slot on the IBook and the 12" Powerbook, when you get up to the 15" model you still have one free slot; but Apple give you the option of replacing the memory in the second slot. Though i wish they would just let us use both slots!

Don't get memory from Apple, as you've probably knowticed, its expensive! Most users here seem to recomend crucial.com so i'd go with that.

Right now i'd go with the 512MB stick since its a third of the price of the 1GB stick which i'd rather have since having a stick laying around is never good! This would give you 768MB of RAM, which isn't bad.. it just could be better ;). But the reasons for getting more RAM should be obvious :)

Out of the two 12" beauties i sugest you get the IBook. The saving alone justifies the purchase! And it just looks so damn cool :D. The PowerBook more so in a way but still. Worth paying nearly double for the 15" model?

Good luck,

Mark.

5. Nutella thread starter macrumors member

Okay, if my slow mind understands this correctly... you can't line up little sticks of, say 256mb, memory end to end to create the sum amount, instead it's all or none.
    Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for your responses!

6. Nutella thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'm tending to agree about going for the ibook. For things I expect to last forever, I'll spend more, but in my case (don't need the fastest, bestest, shiniest, etc) and the fact that I'll be buying another a couple of years down the road, the savings makes sense.

7. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Nope, well maybe you could, i'm pretty new to the hardware world myself.. but even if it could be done it wouldn't do you any good at all since it wouldn't fit in the slot :). Make sence?

Mark.

8. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Definatly. One of the most appealing things about the IBook - besides the fact that the thing is indestructable (well, near enough) is the price! There is a lot of talk about scratches on the IBook but you can clean them right out and the thing looks good as new!

Infact the price seems to is the main reason why everyone doesn't just go for the 12" PowerBook :mad:. But one day i'm sure they will cost less i.e. when the G5's come along in a year or two.

Mark.