New PBs before school starts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tyguy01234, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. tyguy01234 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #1
    I need a laptop for college this fall but I really would like to get the updated PBs...But i need a laptop by august so my question is do you fortune tellers think the PB update will be released in or before august? Thank you, and if it isn't I don't know what I will do, by a BS windows for like $100 and wait for the new PB, who knows, oh apple please catch the Back to school crowd with new PBs!
     
  2. orijinal macrumors 6502

    orijinal

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    #2
    don't think so.
     
  3. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

    bodeh6

    Joined:
    May 18, 2005
    #3
    We will be lucky if the iBook is update let alone the PB. Look for the iBook to be updated in a week or so and the PB to be updated around October.
     
  4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2003
    Location:
    NJ
    #4
    wait until mid july-if there's no powerbook updates by then, unlikely they'll get updated until october

     
  5. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #5
    I've got the odds at somewhere between slim and none. Right now the odds are slightly closer to slim, but after July 7, I have them edging closer to none.
     
  6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

    Capt Underpants

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #6
    If the iBook is updated, it will hardly be worth waiting for. The processor can't get any faster or else it will interfere with the Powerbook line. If there is an update, look for a graphics card update and maybe a default RAM bump to 512 MB.
     
  7. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #7
    That's what people said right before the last iBook update (myself included). However, when the iBooks came out, they were very close to the PB. This was the lineup:

    iBook 12" 1.2 Ghz G4/256 MB/30 GB/Combo/AE $999
    iBook 14" 1.33 Ghz G4/256 MB/60 GB/Combo/AE $1299
    iBook 14" 1.33 Ghz G4/256 MB/60 GB/SuperDrive/AE $1499

    vs then current:

    PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz G4/256MB/Combo drive/AE $1599
    PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz G4/256MB/SuperDrive/AE $1799
    PowerBook 15" 1.33GHz G4/256MB/Combo Drive/AE $1999
    PowerBook 15" 1.33GHz G4/512MB/SuperDrive/AE $2499

    Can't get much closer than that. They could bump the 12" to 1.33GHz and the 14" to 1.42GHz or something and still have a larger differential than last update. I think a RAM update is guaranteed as well. 512MB will be standard soon.
     
  8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #8
    I think you'll be semi safe buying a PB now, as they were just updated in what, March?
     
  9. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #9
    Powerbooks were updated in febuary...So i think buying one now is a fairly safe buy as im sure we will not see updates for a few months yet...

    ShadOW :D
     
  10. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #10
    Seems kind of sad, doesn't it? 5 month old hardware is a "fairly safe buy."
     
  11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2000
    Location:
    54140
    #11
    I think it's very unlikely until the "Student Union" rebate offer is over. Apple uses these kinds of rebates to clear inventory.
     
  12. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #12
    The PowerBook could be updated at MacWorld Paris in September. Otherwise it won't be till MWSF in January 2006.
     

Share This Page