New PBs sports a faster G4 that the desktop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Alte22a, Apr 24, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

Kinda odd looking at apples site the G4 PBs have a higher clock speed that the desktop G4s. I thought there some problems producing G4 1.4 chips. Seems not if they are in the PBs, any thoughts?

2. macrumors 601

stoid

Apple got up to 1.42 GHz in the towers. But that was over a year ago, so it's possible that a little more R&D from Moto has gotten the G4 up to 1.5 by now.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

stoid,

its very quiet on a saturday evening ahould be out no? Yeah was aware that G4 1.4 desktop came out, then as soon as the G5 were released they stop and gave you only 1.25 options. I guess Laptops and Desktop are slightly different. And supoose apple had surplus 1.25 chips in stock...

4. macrumors 601

stoid

I'm across the pond my friend, it's a nasty rainy cold afternoon here. :(

Anyway, as long as the computers keep getting faster, I'm not going to bother Apple over where they found the chips :D

5. macrumors 68000

Not so odd really, given that Apple has ceased development of G4 desktops in favor of the G5 models.

Chris

6. macrumors 6502

I guess the iMac and eMac aren't desktops?

7. macrumors 68000

You got me. I should have said G4 Powermacs.

Chris

8. macrumors 6502

Yes, the new PowerBooks are based on a new revision of the G4 chip that can out-clock the old ones. The PowerBooks get it, since the G5 PowerBook is still "a ways off". The desktops may or may not get it. My speculation is that the eMac just got refreshed to use the last of the old G4 chips, and that Apple is working on replacing the iMac with a G5 model and won't bother with putting the newest G4 variant in it unless the G5 upgrade project hits snags and will be delayed.

I suspect that Apple would like to sell desktops that at least match, maybe beat their portables, so they are working overtime to sort out issues and proceed with including the G5 across the line.

Crikey